1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Found one / WTB / Marlin 1894 44 mag

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by 35, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 35

35 TS Member

0   0   0

Found one / WTB / Marlin 1894 44 mag pre cross block safety prefered.
    Will consider newer models.

Thanks, Dennis

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

nice gun..hope you find one..more than a few on GB.com..just dont wait too long..prices from gougers are going crazy since Remington decided to build them

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Get an old one because the new Marlin levers are crap.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Tis true unfortunantly..anything made 2009 or later you take a chance..some good..but plenty of bad...things go seem to be improving allbeit very slowly..lets hope it is just temporary

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Dennis: the cross bolt safety is no big deal I have 5 marlins and only one which was made in 1958 doesn't have it.

If it really bothers you, you can buy a little kit that removes the safety plug and replaces it with one that looks like another screw. Or you can put an O-ring on the left side and you can hardly see it.

The problem is there aren't many, or maybe any 1894's that don't have the safety. There were .44 mags built on the 336 action from about 68-72ish but they didn't work very well so Marlin came back into ptoduction with the 1894 which had been out of production for many years.

I have never seen a new 1894 that didn't have the safety, and that goes back to one I have which was built in 1991.

Randy

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Bought my wife an 1894 in .357 around four years ago. Junk for the most part and Marlin stated "we will fix it and you will be very impressed". Well, it came back with little difference and then after 225.00 and sent to a custom lever guy it is sensational. I can shoot some serious speed with this rifle and I do not consider myself an experienced lever guy at all.

7. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Deercreek: The instructions for cleaning up a Marlin 1894 are on Leverguns.com

It takes about 2 hours and requires $10 worth of springs from Brownells.

I can do one in less than one hour.

It does take longer than that to refinish the wood however, and it would surprise you how much character there actually is in Marlins Fence Post grade walnut stocks.

Here's a pic of one of mine that came out nice. This gun will cycle even SWC bullets as fast as you can operate the lever.

Randy
    wrbuchanan_2009_191212.jpg

[​IMG]

8. 35

35 TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks for all of the info guys.
    Still looking.

Regards, Dennis

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

I have to tell you what you really need to be looking for is a 1894 Cowboy either a Carbine or a Rifle like mine above. They have made both, and I think the carbine is the current model. Mine has a 24" barrel and the Carbines have a 20".

The reason is because these guns do not have microgroove barrels. They have Ballard Rifling and are Octagon in shape which is much more pleasing to the eye with this gun. These barrels are much more suitable to the .44 Magnum/Special cartridge and lead bullet reloads you can put thru it, than the Micro groove models are.

MG barrels still shoot jacketed or plated bullets just fine,and all the models but the Cowboy models have MG rifling.

As far as the newness or oldness goes. I see little difference in the quality of the finish in the last ten years up to now they all are "generic guns". The new ones I saw at the SHOT Shot show were better than the one I bought in 08. Really though the best finished one I have was made in 1958, but it is a .30-30, not a .44.

Also all of them, no matter when they were made, will need a thourough deburring on the inside to function smoothly or you can shoot it 2000 times to smooth it out. I prefer the 2 hours with a fine file and sandpaper method, which believe me, anyone can do. As I said above the instructions are on Leverguns.com. The difference is night and day and these guns become a real pleasure to handle and shoot when they are all slicked up.

Anyway good luck on your quest, and if you need any help PM me. There are plenty of these guns out there, it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Randy

10. 35

35 TS Member

0   0   0

Randy,

thanks for the info
    I found a halfcock safety model, just waiting for confirmation from the seller.
    i`ll be shooting factory jacketed bullets, shouldn`t be an issue.
    I just wanted a companion to my 44 mag handguns.
    Thanks again for the education.

Regards, Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.