1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a Remington 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longgunnm, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

I have come across a Remington 1100 marked TRAP on the right side of the receiver.
    Serial Number M8503xxV. Remington dates it 1978.
    It has a 28" barrel with mid-rib bead and a modified Rem choke tube. That would not be an original barrel for a '78 gun.
    Decent straight wood stock with a red Remington recoil pad.
    Were any of the 1100 TRAP guns built with 28" barrels?
    Thanks for your help,
    Mark

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Likely that's a field barrel. Is it marked 2-3/4" or 3"?

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have one on my trap gun. It is a 28" target barrel with screw in chokes. I call it a target barrel and not a trap barrel because it does not have any built in vertical lead ( rib high at chamber end and low at muzzle end ). HMB

4. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

It is not a step rib barrel. I need to look at it again, but I think it has taper built into the rib, higher at the rear and close at the muzzle.
    It is marked 2 3/4".
    Any way to determine a 'target' barrel without the step in it?
    Mark

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Look at the barrel tang, the part that goes into the receiver. On most trap barrels there is a deflector stud, to kick the empties downward. It could have been added later but might be an indicator.

6. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

You know I looked at another 1100. The barrel seems to look the same on the inside. At the rear of the tang, there is just a small bump on the left side of the tang.

Does anyone have a good picture of the deflector stud? Email is xxmwebernmsta@msn.comxx without the xx's.

Thanks,
    Mark

7. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Your barrel seems to be like the one I bought for my 1100 field grade. It was a 26" clearly marked "target" and had the mid-barrel bead and the white front bead with screw in REM chokes. My Trap T -- I bought new in 1980 or 1981 -- is a fixed full 30" and marked as such.

8. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

Do I understand that a tapered rib barrel intended to be used on a TRAP 1100 should have target on the barrel under 2 3/4"?

Trap 1100's should have come a with 30" barrel?

I found information that Rem choke was introduced in 1984.
    Mark

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a later barrel on a older receiver, Remington did make 28 inch step rib barrels for trap guns some were even big bores from the factory. I have a 28 inch 1187 with a big bore barrel also marked target with a step rib. They did not make a lot of big bore step rib barrels for 1100,s and 1187,s but they are excellent barrels and hard to find today. My 1187 barrel is a fixed choke and 40 thousands.

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a 28 inc 11-87 trap barrel with a step rib and fixed full choke that I put on my 1100 trap, and it turned out to be a great shooter. JM

11. Longgunnm

Longgunnm TS Member

Should all 1100 TRAP models have step rib barrels?
    Mark

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    No, most 1100 Trap models DO NOT have step rib barrels. Most have the standard field style rib. We're talking about a gun that's been in production for 46 years. Step rib barrels came along in the 1100's middle age, and after a decade or so, it's reverted back to a non-step rib barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to tell if a remington 1100 barrel is wore out