1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a painted stock on a K32

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RioVistaBob, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RioVistaBob

RioVistaBob Member

Wonder if any one else ever found this. My stockmaker had tucked away a beautiful K-32 stock (for over 15 years) off a K-32. Looked like Crown Grade. So I wanted it on my k-32 San Remo, but have him take out the knicks and refinish it.

When he started the refinishing, scraping the old plastic type finish on it, he scraped off the grain. It had been painted in the coating to make it look like a crown grade. The wood is very hard but after the finish is off it's a pretty plain grain.

Anyone found this on other Krieghoff stocks? Painted on grains. I thought it was a recent technique with Beretta. Shocked to say the least.

Bob

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Early SKB's were done that way also.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

a lot of those grade 1 model 32s had lovely wood underneath the old red finish,looked great with an oil finish.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It's amazing how plain American walnut can be made into fine English walnut with a Sharpie marker. I've seen the befores and afters and would never had known (or believed it) if I hadn't.

Ed

5. Bport33

Bport33 TS Member

Back in the mid 70's perazzi use to use a milky stain and a clear coat over it. A few gunsmiths refinished stocks and found that the wood under the original finish was outstanding. So they would refinish some and sell them as high end replacements. At the time you could get some older stocks with a few marks on them for a small amount of money. So they would go to say the Grand and find stocks at cheap prices and make them into tri or adjustable stocks, alot of cash was made on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.