1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a nice rem 31 what do you think

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hunter1978, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

Heard a local old man was getting rid of his collection. I picked this up for
    $350 The bolt is jeweled A simmons rib was added 30" full choke barrel. I took it apart and it shows no signs of wear. The pics don't do this justice cause of the glare and finger smudges but the blue is deep and even with just a little wear on the mag tube. the top of the reciever has a dull finish. I assume the wood is replacement but do you think that it has been reblued? It looks like a new gun inside and out. I don't mind the replacement wood its got really nice figuring. How did I do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

just how guilty did you feel walking out the door? you stole it at that price! why can't i ever find deals like this.good luck with it,use it often.break'em all..

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You just got a very good deal, they are called the ball bearing pump--slickest pump ever. I'm still shooting one (40+ years now) it's a TC & I bought it 2nd hand.

Have tried just about everything on the market SBTs--O&Us--Slingomatics--SxS--870s--M12s etc. still like the 31s the best. Enjoy your good fortune. Ross Puls

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Looks like a $900 gun

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great gun...not original wood, but so what. Did the old guy get suspicious when he seen you carting up that 55 gallon drum of KY jelly? LOL.

You did good!

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Very nice. Good for you!

-Gary

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'll find me a nice field grade M31 and build it up like that one day. Beautiful gun and you'll be proud to shoot that one at the range I'll bet.

ss

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nice gun. How's the chamber ring?

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You did good at that price. That does have some really nice wood.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

As to your question about reblue. The barrel was definitely when rib was added and from the look of it I would say the reciever was also. You still stole it. What did you use for hold up gun? :) Bill

11. overbored

overbored Member

Remington 31 does not have a chamber ring?

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

overbored. Remington called it an "adjustable barrel bushing".

13. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

AS for stealing it. I did give him what a dealer gave him as a price when they looked at the entire collection. He said its been sitting unfired by him for about 30 years. Inside it looks like it just came from the factory I see no evidece of wear on anything other then very little blue wear on the mag tube. Serial numbers match and they are 31xxx range.
    I just got home from the club some guys were drooling esp at the price. she does look better then my pics show. shoots really nice. It seems heavy compared to an 870 but balences and points well. I see where the term ball bearing pump comes from It pumps so easy that it feels like an auto. He also has a win model 12 field in good shape, no comparison I don't know how winchester sold any with the 31 around. Its the slickest pump I've handled and built like a tank.

14. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

The guy also has anouther field grade 31 shows some use, It has a factory solid rib but unfortunitly has a polychoke installed for $200

15. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Hunter if he still has it I would like to get it. Please PM me. Ken Uhlbeck

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If yours was $350, the one with the polychoke should be $125.

-Gary

17. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

I thought I did well w/ the 20 ga deluxe model I picked up Monday w/ a polychoke for $300! What a nice gun; shoot it well. J.Terre

18. ctreay

ctreay Member

That is a nice looking gun. Well worth the money. I picked up a 16 ga field #507xxx range several years ago that someone had taken apart to clean and couldn't put back together. I had to give a whole $25.00 for it. Gunsmith charged me $75.00 to replace 1 lost and 1 broken part. It is my favorite bird and bunny gun.

ctreay

19. twotimer

twotimer Member

Hunter, I couldn't help but admire the wood on that picnic table. Mike

20. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

It's nice, but I would not have paid more than $150.00 because of the right handed stock!

Just kidding!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.