1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a good way to ship barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Finally came across an easy, secure, and relatively cheap way to ship barrels (at least for pump and auto barrels, fit might be too tight for others, IDK).

Went to Office Max, and bought a 4" diameter mailing tube, 36" long for $4. Wrapped the barrel in paper (used an old patterning sheet, 36"x36", crumpled up then reflattened which helps for a snugger fit), and slid it into the tube (fairly snug fit). Then I used a large Priority Mail triangular mailing tube (free, you need to order them online at the USPS site and they'll deliver them to your house), slide the 4" mailing tube into it (slides in snugly with no rattle or need for additional packing materials), and taped the whole thing up.

Barrel is now double boxed to help protect it from damage, and the flat sides of the triangle provide a good spot to stick the label on, and won't allow the package to roll around.

Hope this helps someone. I know I've struggled in the past to find a combination of boxes, packing peanuts, bubble wrap, ect, that I was confident in, but I think I've found a winner with this one (I don't believe anything short of running it over w/ a forklift or vehicle will damage the barrel). I've used PVC pipe in the past, which works pretty well, but adds significant weight, and therefore cost, to the package.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pretty smart for a skeet shooter, thank you-sounds great. Sorry, but you knew it was coming from somebody here and I'm just an old cement head.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Been doing similar for some time only the USPS supplies them at no charge. Mike.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

BB- I haven't seen any free cylindrical tubes, just the triangular ones that I used for the outer packaging.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I bought a barrel from somebody on ebay (a while back) and got an empty box with the end busted out and the barrel missing. UPS eventually found the barrel but it had a bad case of "truck rash". The seller offered to replace it if I'd ship it back.

I got a 3-foot length of the 1/4" thick, 4" diameter cardboard tube that vinyl flooring is wrapped around, wrapped the barrel in bubble wrap and slipped it into the tube. I used a band saw to cut a pair of 3/4" discs from 3/4" plywood scrap so they fit tight in the ends of the tube and I nailed each in place with 6 or 7, 4-penny nails.

The tube turned out to be UPS-proof but the guy I sent it to wrote back that it took him 15 minutes to cut the tub open to get to the barrel.

Keller

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I stand corrected. The USPO gives the 36" triangular tubes away not round tubes. Free, Mike.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BB, my son just Fed-Xed me a barrel in a round tube he bought at the PO for around 3.50 or so!! Hardly a scratch on it!!

Hap

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Unk1 ... next time use small screws instead of nails ... much easier to open that way!

9. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I send most of my barrels in a section of plastic conduit/light sewer pipe -- drain/waste/vent, etc (unused of course). Tape the ends securely, pad with foam on each end and foam peanuts inbetween.. TOTALLY postal-proof!! 10 foot lengths can be cut in 3 sections for about $2.00 each=6.00. Pretty good insurance. 3" or 4' works great. Open with a knife and you have packaging to resend........merlyn

10. Unknown1

<blockquote>"Unk1 ... next time use small screws instead of nails ... much easier to open that way!"</blockquote>Ya know... I thought about that but I wanted to make the container as tamper-proof as possible. OK...I didn't have anything but nails.

Keller

11. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Merlyn, if you sent a barrel in a used piece of pipe would you be sending someone a crappy barrel? Sorry, couldn't help it; the voices in my head make me do these things. Mark

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I ship all my barrels needing bluing over to Glenrock Blue in black or white 3" or 4" PVC pipe with an endcap glued on one end, and a screw-in plug on the other.

Some folks on this site have said that some carries won't accept them, but FedEx and UPS have always taken mine and shipped them back.

When I worry about a $15,000 Perazzi getting its barrel beat to hell, I rest easy using these.

I even ship to Briley with them.

On other occasions I always keep the shipping hard paper tubes that all my metal is received in. These are 6', 8', 10' tubes. Bad thing about this are the end caps. Sometimes I don't have any to use and worry about something popping out during transit.

Whiz

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

pvc w/ pvc end caps.

14. Unknown1

Schedule 30 PVC pipe is has a thinner wall but still has lots of strength if you're looking minimize weight.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.