1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Found a couple trap guns at a rummage sale today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 15, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I love going to rummage sales. Over the past 43 years I have found three trap guns, a model 12, and 2 870's.

This morning, I went to a sale in a nearby suburb and asked the woman if she had any shotguns for sale? She said years ago her husband was a trapshooter and she still has his guns. I asked her what her husband's name was as I told her that I was also a trapshooter.

Long story short, I knew her husband and he was on the first league team that I was on at the Boxhorn gun club years ago. I was new to the game and he treated me like one of the guys. I never saw him after that league ended. His wife was young at the time, jet black hair, now totally white like mine.

She also remembered me after we spoke and sadly told me that her husband passed away a while back. She brought me back into the house and brought me downstairs to his reloading room.

He still had his Mec reloader on his bench, along with Red dot powder still in the hopper. There were a couple bags of Remington shot and the old Federal pushin cushion white wads there too.

She mentioned that he had not shot in years but still kept his guns. When I shot with him he had a old style BT99 that he used. It was the one with the reddish wood and dull metal, which he still had.

She also opened another case and it was a trap gun that I never saw before. It was a Richland Arms break open single barrel. Both guns were in real nice shape.

I asked her how much she would take for everything? The price she quoted was extremely low and I told her that I could get a lot more for them.

I called a couple people I know that are always on the look out for guns and one of the guys bought everything from her for double than what she originally wanted.

It felt good to help her out, especially since her husband was so kind to me when I just started out in trapshooting. I learned a long time ago, never to take advantage of someone. She thanked me for helping her out, and I told her how nice her husband had been to me when I shot on his team. I told her I never was able to thank her husband. She said you did today. You could say I had a good day.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

You're a good guy Steve...

God bless You!

milt

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Well done Steve. Doug

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

It good to know there is still good honest people out there
    Thanks Steve

5. senior smoke

Believe me, I'm not as nice as I sound, just ask the Mrs. (just kidding). The real purpose I wrote this thread was to ask if any one out there ever heard of Richland Arms before, and if any of you ever saw a Richland arms break open trap gun or any other Richland Arms gun?

Any one know the history of Richland Arms?
    Steve

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Richland were Spanish, made by Zabala.

We got a couple from the old Chappie's Sports in the 60's.

Frank had a 707 SxS he kept for a long time.

HM

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good for you. There are all too many in our hobby/business who will cheerfully rip off an old widow. I've seen my dealer pay old widows more than what the gun was worth. He shrugged and said he was merely doing 'God's work". He also helped a widow sell her original Officer's Model Trapdoor Springfield that was in mint condition. Other dealers offered her between $100 to $300 for it. At the time it was worth a bit over $3K (you can tell this was a long time ago, they're worth nearly 10x that now.) He had just opened his gun shop and did not have the money to cash it, so he put her in contact with a trusted collector, who paid her full Flayderman's for it.

8. senior smoke

Brian:
    Nice story. Years ago, I was out of work and trying to sell one of my 870 guns to put food on the table for my family. I started out asking $150.00 which at that time was the average used price on an 870. I could not sell it. I was getting desperate and I needed some cash and I asked a gunsmith friend if he'd buy it for $75.00.

He reached in his pocket and gave me what the gun was really worth. I reminded him that all I was asking was for $75.00. He said something that I will never forget.

He said never take advantage of someone in need. We owe it to one another to treat each individual with respect as someday you could also be in that same situation. He went on to say once you start working again and financially get back on your feet, your gun will be at my shop for you to purchase for the same amount that I just paid you for it.

What he actually gave me was an interest free loan on my gun. I have often found that there is a very fine line for things going well for people and things going the other way.

One thing I know is when you do something nice for someone it makes you feel good inside. My father often said to me that I should lead my life in a manner that would make your mom and dad proud. I do that to this very day.
    Steve

9. SPW895

SPW895 Member

Steve,

It is good to read stories of people who have not forgot where they come from. Your parents raised you right. Thanks for helping this lady. Too oten we read of some one trying to get the ultimate deal and they don't take care who they take advantage of.

God Bless.

Stan

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Gentlemen, thanks for sharing these uplifting entries. We all need to be reminded of the importance of empathy and compassion. I wish I could undo many things that I did while younger that were not so nice.

I am glad there must be good things in the water you have been drinking and I "feel enhanced" this pm.

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

As an FYI, Norman Flayderman the author of the Flaydeman books on antique weapons passed away about 2 months ago here in Florida. His wife Ruth was a top shooter years ago shooting under the name of Ruth Keim. As Ruth Fladerman she used to shoot at Markham Park with me but stopped to take care of Norman during his last months.

Eric

12. DJM

DJM Member

This story should remind all of us "over 60" types to develop an exit plan for our firearms, and shooting related gear. I for one know my wife would not know how to liquidate for fair market price. But it can be hard to deal with such issues.

13. warren

warren Member

Good man

warren

14. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy who said that the first thing he did in the morning was check the obits in the paper. He said that if he saw one of his fellow club members names he wanted to be the first to get to the widow and get first crack at the deceased's guns.

Bud

15. musky

musky TS Member

My father and I went to the auction of my gunsmith who had passed away because he had a gov. issue colt 1911 i was interested in. They never gave any info on the gun just listed it in the sale flyer. The auctioneer was my gunsmiths son and he told us that his sisters wanted all guns sold with no exceptions. When found the 1911 on the table and to my surprise it had a four digit serial number starting with 1 and it was in it's original GI holster. I bought the gun and when i went to pick it up he told me that it was suppose to go to his son but his sister's did not care. I took the gun home then a couple weeks later took it to a very reputable appraiser in chicago. Not suprising to me the gun appraised for four times what i payed. I had it in my safe for about for months when i could not take no more so i called the man and sold it back to him for the price i payed plus the appraisel cost and gave him the appraisel. I know i could have made a lot of money on the gun but i still feel good to this day for giving it back to him for his son. Larry

16. greta500

greta500 Member

If all men told their wives the TRUE amount they paid for their guns, and the current worth

This problem would be eliminated.

There was a lady selling pocketbooks at the grand for an outrageous price. I said who

Could afford these bags and she replied.......the wives who come here for the first

Time and find out the cost of guns, shells, and entry fees!!!

Greta Cesario

The ladies who shoot do not have this problem'!

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That was a good thing to do Steve

I have never taken advantage of anybody that did not need it, and have given a lot of stuff to people who did need it

18. senior smoke

I strongly believe that most on this site are very good people. I received a PM today and the guy asked me how much did the woman originally want for the guns, the reloader, the shot, and wads? She also had a sleeve of Alcan primers she was throwing in.

She offered every thing to me for 500.00. I was there when a friend of mine came over and he offered $900.00. I told her do not accept that offer as it was low.

The other guy came over and they started bidding for everything, and she accepted $1,300.00 for every thing. I told both of them, this could be their own wives some day, so be fair.

Steve

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Steve, in the late 60's I bought a Richland arms double barreled SXS 10 gauge. It was a pretty decent gun for the $125 or so I gave for it. I used to hunt snow geese with it. Custom loaded shells and two full choked barrels would really reach out there. Its good to do the right thing by the way.

20. Mapper

Mapper Member

Sr. Smoke, I have visited Richland Arms. They sold all kinds of stuff in addition to their gun line. I have a forcing cone reamer I bought from them. It is a good reamer and has opened up several bbls. They also sold choke reamers and a bunch of other stuff.

Search tags for this page

richland arms model 500 trap