1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Found: A Browser that Works

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

We've been having Internet Explorer trouble on both computers for quite some time. It is usually slow and will often freeze up for minutes at a time.

We went to Firefox and it works better but has a few things I don’t like. For example, when doing a cut and paste process there will be a rash of letters and symbols (garbage) that have no meaning but are included with what I am trying to copy.

A friend recommended using CHROME. . . said it was fast and so far he had no complaints. We went to Google and downloaded the ‘Chrome’ Browser. It has been just a few days but we are well satisfied. It is very fast and so far, works well.

BB

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have you tried the Safari. Browser. Yes... I know it's an Apple product but there is a version for Windows. I like it better than Chrome and Firefox.

Tom

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Safari and Chrome have similar roots as "Web-Kit" based browsers. Firefox (Camino for Mac) is basically Mozilla based Gecko. Opera is another alternative that notes some recognition. Google's Chrome seems to be the "lighter" application. As for security, I would think that a browser from a source that updates frequently to stay ahead of security issues to be the most important feature. All browsers have security issues and a comparison between them, in that light, could change daily. The security and private browsing options are worth looking at. Leaving things at the defaults might not be an option for all users. "Private" browsing features are also a good thing to explore. Compatibility is the number two issue and this one leans towards Internet Explorer. Most websites are designed for Internet Exploder and alternative browsers will sometimes have a hard time with some sites. Many banking and secure sites will not work well with the alternatives.

Although I use Internet Exploder quite a bit, I personally prefer Firefox with Chrome as a close second on Windows based machines. Konqueror is my preference for KDE Linux browsers and was actually the basis for many of the newer "Web-Kit" based browsers. I keep an eye on unpatched security issues and may not use a browser until they have been resolved.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I prefer Firefox because of the security add-ons, like No Script, a couple of the anti-redirect scripts, no flash script, a auto-refresh blocker, and an advertisement blocker.

Opera is very fast, but it has no such add-ons. So I only use it for websites that I absolutely trust.

About the only website I use Internet Explorer for is email, since there are some functionality issues with Firefox due to the script blocking I'm using.

I've used Safari on a Mac. Have not tried it on a Windows machine. Seems to be OK, but I did not see a big advantage to it.

Tried Google Chrome. Uninstalled it due to questions being raised about Google harvesting and storing your private information, keeping track of websites you visit, and their willingness to share that info. Until there are assurances that Google is cherishing our right to privacy, I won't be using their browser.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Brian,

There were some issues brought to light sometime late 2008 about Google Chrome sending data back to the mothership. I initially tracked some of this and it was mostly traffic when typing in a search term or url. It was related to a feature to provide suggestions and preload advertisements as you typed in these fields. You can always set the browser to use a search engine "Other Than Google". They did change some of their tracking strategies after the initial release and feedback about privacy concerns. I'm still not 100% convinced that it is totally anonymous, but it should be fine for normal browsing. If I were in need of something more anonymous, I would be using a different "Live" operating system through a proxy server or two.

You are certainly right about the ability to "tweak" Firefox. Most browsers have some flexibility in that regard. The Firefox plug-ins are useful. Just be careful, since some of these plug-ins are not always benign. They "De-list a few on occasion for various reasons and some were because of security concerns.

An interesting note: Firefox is available as a "portable" browser. It can be run off of a thumb drive and leaves very little behind. Add this to a "tor" network, and you have a pretty decent combination, although a bit slow because of the proxy.

6. JTEA

JTEA Member

I like the easy way you can clean up on Firefox. The cookies are in folders which save a lot of time. Have used it for years, I also run SeaMonkey - the Netscape version of Firefox. IE is a pain to clean without gutting everything.

Just today that stinking MS system (IE) was completely locked up as it tried to force the Bing search engine bar onto my PC (which I refused). IE would not let me open another IE window and I had to eventually shut down the PC. I was also using, and continued to use Firefox at the same time with no problem. That's the problem with the MS philosophy. If it weren't for the other apps dependent on it and synchronized with it, Outlook, Office Word etc. I wouldn't run it.

Having a good security system is crucial as is getting browser updates. I have used Kaspersky for several years and have had a much better time than I ever did with McAfee. Never a glitch, auto updates with no concerns. I also have concerns over Googles' browsers as they seem to be aligning themselves as the intelligence arm of the world. All g-mail sent by everyone is kept by Google in perpetuity.

JT

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Netscape is anti-gun, so it's out for me. I tried Firefox for a year or so and even their supports folks couldn't make any of my PCs and printers print a full webpage - the right inch or so continually was cut off. I'm not an experimenter and prefer to stick with things that have worked for me, so I use Internet Explorer. The whole cyber world seems to be designed around it and I've never had a problem with it that I can recall.

Ed

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

IE works for me..........Why change?

Hauxfan!

9. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

With google if it gets any slower it will be going backards. Takes forever to read my mail .going back to IE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.