1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FORTUNATE SON

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by gdbabin, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Press the link.

Guy B.

2. avery53

avery53 Member

Best band ever! IMHO LOL

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I loved that show.

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Amazing what those guys could do with 3 cords.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Anyone read the comments? Can't believe all those people who entirely miss the point of this song. Must be a bunch of kids because they're not realizing that draftees made up a big portion of the military in Viet Nam. Forced coscription that doesn't exist today. Of course if you had money for college (Senator's son) or had influence at your local draft board you didn't go.

6. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

With due respect yaki, I think it was you who missed the point of the thread, which was great music. While the political component might have been important 40 years ago, it's just history now.

Actually, college was fairly cheap in those days so you didn't have to be rich to go to college. Also, for a long time all you had to do to avoid the draft was to get married, no draft board influence needed. Enlisting in the Navy or Air Force was also an easy way to avoid the draft. It wasn't rocket science and one didn't need to be rich, just smart.

7. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Um-John !--perhaps you forgot about the "lottery". I remember it well--too well!
    regards
    Bob

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

No, nanuk, I didn't forget about the lottery as I also remember it very well. I didn't mention it because it had nothing to do with what someone could do to avoid the draft. After the lottery, many no longer had to worry about the draft but many still did.

9. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I most certainly remember the lottery...2 digit midget.

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Before lottery for me - 1966 - badgered my AF recruiter to death, had my induction physical already - he got me in - stayed 23 more.

11. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Also, a book titled "Fortunate Son" bio of the Son of Chesty Pueller, the "Great Marine" who became a paraplegyic during Viet Nam as a Marine then later serving in the Pentagon took his own life when the pain was unbearable. Recommended reading.

blade819

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I second the recommendation on Lewis Puller's biography. It is not light reading however. It IS still germane today however and a great source for insight to the returning warrior's reality.

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.