1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Formula for Ed's Red needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Formula for Ed

I have lost it! Takes a long time to use a gallon but I have, and lost ot along the way.!
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

see link. 10 second Google search. Mark

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

1993? really? you still use that concoction? good luck with it

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

still great stuff...

5. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

A gallon lasts a long time, tried it, liked it, don't need any luck with it.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Quartering, great comment. Mind explaining why you were typing through your nose?

The site I posted should full fill any request for homemade gun related products.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The Red is the best stuff I have tried for cleaning shotgun barrels.

Equal parts mineral spirits, Acetone, Dextron ATF and Kerosene. Easy to make and low cost.

What's not to like.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is it safe on blueing and wood finishes?

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's safe on all bluing and metal but I'd stay off the wood. Some of the ingredients can be bad on the woods finish.

The beauty of the homemade Ed's Red is you can add or delete various parts of the ingredients to your liking. Sort of like grandmas cooking where it was a pinch here and a dab there. I use the stuff for cleaning all my firearms. It's great for cleaning my pistol parts, AR parts and shotgun chokes in a mason jar full and let them soak. The crud wipes right off after the soaking.

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

If you use the acetone in the mix you don't want it anywhere near the finish on the wood. I think it's really 4 or 5 ingredients for the full deal - equal parts Acetone, Kerosene, Dextron ATF, and either odorless mineral spirits or charcoal lighter fluid (depending on how aggressive you want it to be). An optional ingredient is lanolin - I don't recall the amount as I don't use it - but its about 1 lb per gallon of ed's red.

For something thats not going to harm the finish on the wood just leave out the acetone. The ATF/kerosene/mineral spirits(or lighter fluid) is a good solvent all by itself.

Non of the ingredients are acids or rust removers - they won't hurt metals or bluing.

If you use the acetone mind the container you store it in. Acetone will eat/soften a lot of different kinds of plastics. Make sure you get a container with solvent resistance. I have a 1 gallon gasoline jug - its fine - but the o-ring in the cap dissolved within about 15 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.