1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FORGIVE ME: POI ? AGAIN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FLAKETM, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I've just got my first adjustable rib gun. Manual sez when barrel end of rib all the way down, gun will shoot 9.5 inches high. I guess that's at 30-35 yards. So what is 9.5 in terms of POI? 80 percent, etc???? Thanks

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think your manual assumes the POI will be 9.5" high at 40 yards. That is the standard distance. The best measurement you can give is 9.5" high at 40 yards. There is no ambiguity. An old timer who understands what the percentages actually mean will automatically know you have an 80/20 shooter. The rest of the dipshits won't know what you are describing. Just say x" high at y yardage and even a dufus will know what you POI is.

3. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

thanks.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Any dufus knows that the size of the pattern is required to computate the % high of the pattern. Any Dipshit should include that information.
    Joe

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

FLAKETM- At 35 yards, I would describe a gun that shoots 9.5 inches high as shooting about an 80/20 pattern. But don't believe what you read in the manual, check it yourself by shooting a few targets at 13 yards. Use 13 yards so you can accurately identify the center of the pattern.

In General if the gun shoots 1 inch high at 13 yards it will shoot about 60/40 at thirty five yards.

Two inches high at 13 yards is about 70/30 and three inches would be about 80/20.

FLAKETM asked a good question and, in my opinion, the first three responses were rather rude.

Pat Ireland

6. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Rude & coarse, of "coarse"!

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Hey Joe, anyone of your stature should know than when expressing POI as pattern percentages, the pattern is 30" and the distance is 40 yards. Period.

Now before you make another comment without thinking, consider this. My gun used to shoot 21" high at 40 yards. That is, the center of the pattern impacted 21" above the POA at 40 yards. That is commonly referred to as shooting 120% high. So according to you no gun shoots more than 100% high?

Consider a gun that shoots 6" high at 40 yards, a 70/30 shooter. If you shoot it at 13 yards with a Full choke all of the pellets are above the line. Is that a 100% shooter. Now move back to 20 yards. id it just become a 95% shooter? How about at 40 yards where it becomes a 70/30 shooter? How do you account for that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.