1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forend repair 3200

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grunt, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone repair a 3200 forend. Mine has a small crack. I had the springs lightened to prevent this from happening. Ive seen them fiberglassed I may try that. Any ideas?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Contact Pat Laib, 201 North Hwy 23, Spicer, MN 56288 320.796.2686 laib@wecnet.com. He is the 3200 man. Bill Malcolm

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have repaired them by drilling a shallow impression or two on the crack inside the forend and then using a plastic syringe to force clear epoxy into the crack. Try to get some epoxy in the full length of the crack if possible. Surgical tubing can be used to hold it together until it cures. You might want to use a block in the barrel channel when applying pressure with the surgical tubing. After the epoxy in the crack is completely cured build up a layer of epoxy on the inside to reinforce it.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

ou.3200 - I have successfully used a system similar to yours. I open up the inside of the crack with a fine file and also cut a few cross channels to give additional strength. A small hole at the end of the crack is important. If the crack is in a pressure area, I used to use small metal inserts (made from small cut nails) as cross ties. I have now been convinced that bamboo cross ties are superior.

Most important, figure out what caused the crack. Often, a bit of inletting work is required before repairing the crack. The job is one that can be done with little effort at home.

Pat Ireland

5. grunt

Thanks all. Dave

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It's highly likely that the wood is cracking because the 3200 forend iron needs to be updated. The forend iron has probably developed a crack, and now is allowing the wood to shift or the bending of the iron, causing pressure on the wood.

If it has not been updated, send it to Pat Laib, ASAP. Just repairing the wood will not work. Eventually, the forend wood will be destroyed.

Doug

7. grunt

Thanks Doug, Ill check it out.By the way the 90T is working great . Dave Bishop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.