1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forend Flinch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

Sometimes right when I am about to pull the trigger, I pull the gun down or make a radical move, is this a flinch? And has anyone had the same experience and results in curing it? other than removing the offending hand.

It has happened in competition and some days not at all. It happens in practice, some times as many as 8to10 times in a 100 target match, not all birds are "loss". suggestions? Release trigger?

I have a fitted stock, updated eye glass presciption. 2 eye shooter. Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob S

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bobby, It's not ever happened to me since yesterday shooting with you know who! :) I've maintained for a long time that it's a form of flinch.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bob---I just asked about this very thing not more than a week ago on here. I call it my double pump flinch. Its almost as if i lunge forward. I'm still working on trying to fix it and i think the key is timing. Its all in your head as most flinches are. I think your mind has a timer set on your trigger finger. When the timer runs out you lunge or flinch as if shooting weather you are ready or not. I have slowed down on my whole shooting procedure and have been concentrating on shooting when i'm ready. Its a hard battle. I'm about to go back to a release trigger. ----Matt

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Are you getting older and is your eye dominance shifting. Happens to many!!

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I developed this same affliction. A release trigger cured it for me.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I suffer the same on occasion. Its always on hard weakside (right) targets. I think its caused by being surprised by the bird visually. I've attempted to vary my foot position to keep the right bird more centered in my vision which seems to help. The opposite should work for a rthander.

Good luck.

Jim C

From Hell Michigan

7. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

I recently learned from Dennis Devault of Double D Shooting Clinics that this can be a characteristic of an intermitent cross eye dominance problem. Another characteristic for a right hand shooter is often hitting the left side of the target. I was doing both of these at times and when Dennis covered my left eye with masking tape I immediately began centering the targets and the left hand jerk went away. The jerk comes from the brain telling the hand the sights aren't lined up and trying to make a last split-second correction of site alignment. Often this phenomenon is mistaken for a recoil related "flinch" and so shooters are told to go to a release trigger, recoil reducers, etc. when this isn't the problem at all. Phil Kiner also takes about this in his video. I ended up with a Magic Dot which eliminated the issue for me. In the video Phil says that in his clinics he often runs across this problem with men in the latter 50's....many of whom have shot all their life and never had an issue before......which is exactly my situation.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If tape on opposite shoulder/eye lense does not help, then putt an empty hull in your left hand while holding the forearm on each shot. One of these two should help as they are for the two leading circumstances.

9. grntitan

Whats the deal with the empty hull? Can you explain the principle of that one?----Matt

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I do that with a release trigger only.. I call it my reverse flinch..I nose dive the barrel..

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Must be common. Happens to me also. Usually happens without warning on hard rights. It is vision induced. The brain sees a possible problem which results in a muscle spasm. It can feel like being hit with a high voltage charge. If I can stay relaxed and swing smoothly it doesn't happen.

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

RAScott -- I would bet good money that you are cross-firing on those fore-end flinches. It is my experience that damn near all fore-end/hand flinches are a result of cross-firing. pk

13. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have a sight blinder on my single barrel gun, when I hit the targets they are good hits. you go from a total smash to a total miss IM from the 16. I considered a release trigger, i tried on in Ohio last year.

Bob S

14. grntitan

Bob S--I used a release before i bought my Beretta and the flinch was gone. When i bought my Beretta it came back. I'm gonna go back to release real soon and try and get rid of it again.--Matt

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bob, Ross' suggestion has helped me, very similar. Also try a round or two of "skeet?" with a small guage and you may see where the jerk comes in. Mine is attached to the recoil pad.

16. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I'm finding myself in the same boat. I have the left eye lens taped over, as well as close my left eye. I have a fitted stock and a release trigger. And I hit nearly all the hard right (post 5) or lefts (post 1) but too ofter miss the quartering lefts or rights. The more often I shoot the worse it seems to get. In the past I have forced myself to shoot quicker giving me less time to think my way into misses. Not quite sure where to go from here, maybe focus on keeping my knees bent and using more lower body to swing, taking the support (left) arm out of the equation.
    Ideas? Maybe I should take up skeet...
    And I'm also curious about the emptry hull in the left hand. Hey, I'm desperate...
    dju

17. grntitan

"Hey, I'm desperate"

LOL... Yeah me too. Heck i'll try about anything if it works.---Matt

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster suggested that to me once, too. It's to keep you from gripping the forend too hard.

19. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Does it matter whether you grip the forend out on the tip or back near the receiver? I've always been near the receiver so will try it out toward the tip, just to see it extending the arm out a bit minimizes the flinch travel.
    And if you see someone on the range shooting with an empty shell in his hand, that will probably be me...
    dju

20. RAScott

RAScott Member

I try to tuck my left elbow down almost under the gun at times and that seams to help. but then again?
    Bob S