1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign objects in Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsatem, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsatem

shootsatem TS Member

Using Promo power and a MEC9000G loader.

Have found stink bugs blocking the powder drop tube. Then, the powder and shot drop tubes fill up until they tilt backwards and spill their contents.

As a precaution, I pour powder in a saucer, then visually inspect it for foreign matter before putting the powder into the powder hopper. I also inspect the drop tube to make sure its clear. I have been doing this for quite a while without finding any objects or experiencing blockage.

Recently, I discontinued the screening and visual pre-loading inspection and to my dismay it happened again today.

There was a yellow plastic object, looked like a stopper of some sort lodged in the powder drop tube and I ended up with the same mess before I discovered the blockage.

Wondering if anybody else has experienced the same problem???

2. jdomas

jdomas Member

Not with Promo, but I did find debris (masking tapr ball) in a jug of E3

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have loaded over 80lbs. of Promo and never had this problem... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have foud 2 bees in the Promo. One did block the drop tube. I still can't figure out how it got thru the powder baffle.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I say the bugs were in the hulls, and got into the powder drop tube when priming the hull.

Your basement may need an exterminator to get rid of the bugs, or a closer examination of your hulls befvore reloading.

See my posting " CAN THIS BLOW UP YOUR GUN"

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

I think that Gary is on the right track. I had a small piece of the foam lid seal try to sneak in as I was filling my powder bottle but other than that nothing in many years of loading. As a confessed hull whore I can confirm that you will be amazed by the things that you will find peeking back at you in hulls waiting to be loaded.

--- Chip King ---

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Watch out for mud daubers building in your shotgun or rifle barrels!

I once found a spent primer in the powder drop tube of my MEC Grabber. This was about 10 years ago. How it got there I do not have a clue.

I have never found any type of foreign object in my Alliant powders.

Ed Ward

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

32lbs of Promo never seen anything in mine.

Except the time I dumped 1 oz of 8 shot into the wrong jug......

SW

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SW---Been there and done that, more than once. I don't learn the first time.

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

... and I'll bet that not one person ever called Alliant about these strange objects they "found" in their Promo.

Lister

11. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Carol, I did speak with the rep at the PA state shoot about it, he just smiled and said "things happen". Also the bee was not in the hull or from me. It was in the powder a friend of mine found one when he was checking powder pryor to putting it in the powder bottle. You have to remember those plants are not a operating room. Things fly and crawl around them all the time. If you can get all kinds of things in your food stuffs why not your powder?

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

How do you know the bugs and stuff were not "domestic?" I could understand the "foreign" label for a jug of Clays or VV powder, but Promo is made in the US, or did I miss something? Never found anything in Promo, except Promo. I pour through a fairly narrow funnel at eye level, so it would likely be obvious if there were something odd in the mix. I've probably loaded close to 100lbs of Promo in recent history, maybe more. I also visually inspect the INSIDE of every hull as well. I've found quite a few odd things in the hulls, but never in ANY powder I've ever used.

13. ganger

ganger Member

I also had a bug in my powder this year, although I can't swear that it wasn't Clays, I'm pretty sure it was Promo. Plugged up the tube, made a mess, and I don't think it was in the hull because I plucked about four separate pieces out of the powder bottle. But like the guy said, things happen. It's still a good powder and very affordable. Might have to try the kitchen strainer routine. ganger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.