1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forearm won't fit on 34" 682 X trap barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BBman, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBman

BBman Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

I just received a 682 X 34" top single barrel via a trade. The barrel fits nice and snug on the receiver. I can get the forearm on the barrel but I can't seem to get it all to snap/lock on. Does anyone know why this may be and can it be fixed by either me or a gunsmith or is the just not going to fit my gun? Thanks

2. BIG HOUSE

BIG HOUSE TS Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

you have to file down the hook on the barrel. take it slow till you get a snug fit.

Thx BIG HOUSE

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

Before beating on your bbl or doing any filing, be absolutely sure the bbl is fitting the receiver correctly. If it does, then remove the forend wood from the iron and try the iron to the gun. With just the forend iron on the assembled gun, everything should work properly. The wood is only a handle. It should not influence the way the gun functions, though on Berettas, it sometimes does....it shouldn't though.

By installing the forend iron only, you should be able to see if it's seated all the way to the lug or if it's hanging up somewhere. If it snaps into place well with the wood removed, then you're looking at some wood interference.

Doug Braker

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Forearm won't fit on 34

TTT

5. BBman

BBman Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

I took the iron off of the forearm and tried it out. The iron fit while I had it off of the wood. So will this 682 barrel even work for my 680 or am I SOL? Thanks

6. BBman

BBman Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

I take that back. I forgot at first that the barrel had to be mounted on the gun when trying out the iron. With the barrel mounted on the gun and from what I can tell fitting correctly to the receiver the iron from the forearm will still NOT snap into the locked position. What does that mean?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

If the metal fits fine but the wood does not fit, it sounds like a simple inletting problem. The most common place where a little wood needs to be removed is at the bottom of the barrel channel near the end of the forearm wood. Cut a sheet of paper around 2 inches by 11 1/2 long and hold it between the forearm wood and the barrel as you try to put on the forearm. Then slide the paper forward until you find the bind between the wood and the barrel. You can also find the high spots on the wood by putting a little oil mixed with lamp black or any other fine coloring powder and look for the marks on the wood after you have tried to put the forearm on the gun. A large round file can make quick work or relieving the wood.

Pat Ireland

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

Fitting bbl's and forend irons IS a job for an experienced gunsmith familiar with break-open guns. For any gunsmith to try and explain how to "feel" for a proper bbl fit, and to explain how much pressure should be applied when fitting the forend, and then, when it should latch, could lead to finger pointing and name calling, when the owner of the gun, strokes the file one to many times, or begins fitting with a hammer, and the whole project self-destructs.

I'm always happy to help out when I can, but I too have had the "nightmarish" problems show up from the UPS driver. The line does need to be drawn somewhere. So this is mine. Maybe someone else can talk you through it.

Doug Braker

9. BBman

BBman Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

I guess I'm confused. To much stuff going on here. So is it the wood or the hook that needs to be worked on? I would like to give the gunsmith an idea when taken in.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

Subject: Forearm won't fit on 34
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Oct 22, 2007 - 12:41 AM CT
    Website Address:

I take that back. I forgot at first that the barrel had to be mounted on the gun when trying out the iron. With the barrel mounted on the gun and from what I can tell fitting correctly to the receiver the iron from the forearm will still NOT snap into the locked position. What does that mean?

It means the forend iron needs to be fitted to your barrel/receiver first....

11. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

Dont fool with it if you dont know what you are doing, send it to www.colegun.com and they will do a professional fitting job, dont risk damaging that barrel hook.

Berettaman7

12. trapperjohn

trapperjohn TS Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

Have a gunsmith do the filing. It took about 30 seconds to fit mine to the new barrel.

Trapper John

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Forearm won't fit on 34

DougBraker is a very well known gunsmith and worked for Kolar before going on his own I would thak his advice it was free and correct. I have had it done it costs from 60.00 to 100.00 dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fitting forearm iron to receiver

how to fit a new barrel for a beretta 682

how to make sure 682 barrel fits correctly