1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forearm problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I've got a Beretta 682X. The original barrels, (over/under), fit OK. Last Spring I bought an unsingle barrel for it from a fellow shooter. It fits ok but the forearm was a little looser fitting than the over/under set. After shooting it for about 6 months I noted the forearm seems to be getting looser. I can move it vertically, (up and down) about 1/8 ". Is there anyway of tightening this? The forearm fits fine with the over/under barrels but when I install the unsingle I have this movement. I just don't want to crack the wood. Thanks. Ed

2. esoxhunter

I may have discovered a "quick fix" for my problem. I took a piece of Reynolds Wrap and used it as a shim in front of the locking lug on the unsingle barrel. I carefully snapped the forearm on the gun and no more movement. Now all I need to do is when I attach the O/U barrels is remove the shim. It might be crude but I think it will work; unless you guys can give me some better hints?? Ed

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Seems like a good fix to me. See how long it lasts. HMB

4. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Ed, You can peen that lug on your single barrel, just lay the lug on a piece of steel and take a flat punch and hit it on the edge to displace some metal. thats how a gunsmith would fit it.If you get it too tight file some off. It is easier than it sounds. Thats what you're doing when you put the Reynolds wrap in there. Do it carefully. Good luck and I hope this helps. George

5. esoxhunter

Thanks for the input. George, are you saying I should lay the lug "flat" on a piece of metal and then hit the front part of the lug on the side, (using a punch), to accomplish this? Thanks. Ed

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

NOO!!, do not peen the lug.

First off, it's just another temporary fix. The small amount of material you move, will just move back. Secondly, it'll look terrible.

Also, don't attempt to peen the forend iron and re-fit the O/U bbls.

The back of the lug has to be welded...too ADD material, and then re-fit the forend assy.

One other thing is by tightening up the forend iron to the sgl bbl, it's likely that the ejector timing will be off. This could be a problem on the unsgl bbl if the ejector trips too soon.

Bereeta ejectors sure like to be influenced by the fit of the forend assy.

Doug Braker

7. esoxhunter

Doug: Can I get by with my "Reynolds wrap" shim for now and then maybe have it done right a little later on? The ejectors on this single barrel do not eject anyway. (The shells just "extract"). I'm just concerned about maybe having the wood on the forearm cracking. Thanks. Ed... By the way you've did work on a 90T when I still owned it and you did some trigger work on 2 of my Model 12's. You'll probably be fixing this correctly in a few months.

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Listen to Dr Doug - he is a real gunsmith. Always remember when getting a new or additional barrel, you need to get it fitted. Just because it goes on the gun does not mean it does not require "fitting".

9. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Ed, If a piece of Reynolds wrap tightens it up it surely does not need welded.
    I would peen the part of the lug that is towards the receiver on both sides gently.Gunsmiths do this all the time. You asked for hints. No offence Dr. Doug , but I am a gunsmith also.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

No offense, Sir.

But I would like to say, that I've seen my share of beaten lugs and forend irons, most haven't be very pretty. Some have been beaten on so may times that pieces began to break off.

A slightly pinched lug, or a dull chiseled forend iron, may be fine on a occassional hunter, which may be only shot a few hundred time a year, but a target, with 5K to 20K rds a year, the peen will not hold.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.