1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

forearm jerks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Finally after three years of shooting i'm breaking straights with some consistancy however i've developed this forearm jerk that drives me nuts! Is this a flinch? Anyone here know how to fix it with out selling the gun and switching to horseshoes?

Thanks

Tom

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Does it happen predominatly on sharp angles?

3. windyflat

windyflat Member

The last time it happened I was on 5 so more than likely it was a hard right. Nearly threw the gun outta my hand!

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

sounds like your eye dominance is shifting. try shooting with one closed and see if it happens. Otherwise talk with Phil Kiner and he will describe your problem to you exactly and give you some hints on how to cure the problem

Bob w

5. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I had this same problem and I think it was caused by my mind saying that I was not on the target. I shot the target pretty fast and decided that that was causing my problem. I slowed down and pointed my targets out better which cured my problem. I hope this helps. Nothing like running 198 targets and get a left handed jerk on the last two targets and missing them because you mind Say's your not on the target.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

traditionally associated with a CROSSFIRE

See my post on "Joe Kuhn"

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I have the same problem....but mine is post 1, since I'm a lefty.

Are you just 'ripping' the gun through the target?

Shooting 10-15 FEET in front of the bird??

Here's what's solving it for me: Cheat out on your hold. Way out. 10' off the traphouse out. Look back IN to the house. If you pull a hard right, you're well out there already, so you have time to make the move and break the target - in other words, the target is not beating you out of the house, causing you to jerk the forearm and race after it.

Took me a couple hundred birds to get it down. Harder than the angles are the straights...you'll have to swing waaaaay back to the left to get them.

I just tell myself they are straightaways, so they won't get away. Its working so far.

PM me if you have questions. I've been there.

jeff

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Does jerk happen before it goes off. Major problem LOL

9. windyflat

windyflat Member

I did'nt start breaking consistantly good scores until I put a dot on my lens. Problem was much much worse when I shot two eyes with no dot. Still happens just not that often.
    Jeff, That last time it happened I bet I was tryin to play catch up.

Thanks guys!

10. dzneff

dzneff Member

Tom, I fought this type of flinch for years. Finally went to a release trigger and the flinch was cured.

Dennis

11. windyflat

windyflat Member

Dennis I have a few extra 303 triggers... I think I might try to find a release hook and give it a try over the winter.

Thank you!
    Tom

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

windyflat, I think bird30's explanation is what happens. The mind sees that the situation is out of control and the result is a spasm. I have the same problem and sometimes it feels like being hit with high voltage, just racks my whole body. As you mentioned, it can be so violent as to almost drop the gun. It is a form of flinch. For me, it is the result of swinging the gun too fast and being out of control. When I can force myself to slow down I see the target better and it doesn't happen. I am left handed and it only happens on hard rights, post 5.

13. andybull

andybull Active Member

I switched to a release trigger when I shot a lot of trap and my jerking problem was cured.

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Been shooting a release for 15years and the same thing happens at times to me , mainly on right targets too . I try to slow up and it still may happen . My vision seems fine .

15. windyflat

windyflat Member

ljutic111

Once I put the dot on my lens it seemed to get better but it still happens every now and then.
    I've had it happen more than once dry firing with my T Jordan wall chart at home.
    Gonna try a release and see what happens.

Tom

16. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

You are possibly "chasing the streak" at the onset of the target leaving the house and making a quick correction to its actual flight path. The other cause could be gripping the forend too tightly.

When this "flinch" has occurred with me it was due to the problems above. In both cases, I loosened my lead hand "death grip"....problem went away very quickly. I have been told by many very good shooters and "coaches" that a release trigger would not correct a "lead hand flinch" as the problem did not stem from not being able to pull the trigger but rather from acquiring the target.

JMHO

Jim C

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Tom , I also have a 2mm TruGlo Fluoresent Red front sight on all my guns for the simple reason as to know where my barrel is in relation to the target and that seems to help drasticly. Jim , I have to hold a death grip whenever I shoot or I flinch worse even with the release . Different strokes for different folks I guess . I can control the gun better this way . Most of the flinches I had in the past were doing what the experts say to do ??

18. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

Send T Jordan a message, he may have some insight into what is going on.
    I noticed that I had one of the famous left hand jabs going on, until I started using his dry fire chart. It really smoothed my swing out.

19. windyflat

windyflat Member

I have a wall chart from Terry and I've been using for quite some time. Every once in a while I'll flich using the chart.
    Gonna try a release and see if that helps

Tom

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Well most of you have this figured out; at least it's partially visual. Could be clearing; devoloping a habit of pulling down the forend to keep the barrel down to see a break. If you do this when an empty is slipped in to your gun then you will have to practice some dryfiring. The wall chart is good for many. if your having a hard time PM me
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.