1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forearm Grip

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I have read, and been told, that you shouldn't grip the forearm very tightly. I've probably been gripping it too tightly so I tried just laying it lightly in my leading (left) hand; I'm a right handed shooter. I felt like I really didn't have a very smooth swing when doing that. It felt like my right hand wans'nt controlling a smooth swing. Am I missing something ?
    Thanks and have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Kay Ohye says the amount of grip you use to pick the gun up from the rack with one hand, is what you should maintain while shooting. (Or put another way, about the same as to pick up a gallon of milk).

I think that's pretty good. Not a death grip, but not like shooting offhand rifle, either.

You will hear people say it's the same as if you were holding 3 eggs in your forearm hand. But I simply don't see any top shooters doing that.

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I have been shooting better using a light grip as a tigher grip invites me to swing and control the gun with the left hand versus pivoting at the hips. I call it the left hand flinch and it will often result in overleading the hsrd left target from Stations 1 & 2. The grip that works best for me is like gripping an egg. BT100dc

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife is unable to wear her wedding ring when shooting. She's already worn a groove in the checkering on her K-80 forend. She believes in a very strong grip. In 2011 her ATA 16 yd. average was just under 98%. I once believed a light grip was better until I tried her approach. I believe she's right!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.