1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

forearm grip: relaxed or tight?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrb100, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I was curious how most shooters hold the forearm wood because I have always held it relaxed. I tried holding it tight and I seemed to stay in the gun better.
    thanks,
    joe

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Death grip here. You'll also notice less felt recoil.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

You must remember that the function of the left hand/arm (reverse if a lefty of course) is primarily to guide/point the gun at the target. You mostly grip the gun with the right hand curled around the pistol grip tightly. I was taught to hold the gun firmly in the left hand, but not a tight, "death grip" as this stiffens the muscles and interferes with the ability of the left arm and hand to smoothly move the gun barrel onto the target (where yours eyes and attention should be fixated).

Jim R

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I find that the tightest grip with both hands keeps me from flinching and I shoot a release . If I held it lightly I would flinch every time with my left hand pushing up with the forearm . My friend shot well one day holding it tightly but went back to a light grip . I guess everyone is different ??

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The left hand/arm plays no role in pointing the gun; its only use is to support the weight of the barrel and that can be done with an open hand if you so choose. The gun is moved/pointed by the movement of the upper body at the waist... left, right and up.

Carol Lister

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

relaxed....my left hand is mostly just something to rest the forearm on. I agree with Carol. The upper body should move as a unit, all flexibility should be at and below the waist.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.