1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forearm falls off BT 99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bsekf, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsekf

bsekf Member

Yesterday when opening BT99 the forearm came off and the gun was in three pieces. Called Browning and they say it is ready for a rebuild. The gun does not open at the shot, the forearm comes off when you open it after a shot. Latch does not seem to be loose or worn, in fact you have to push the latch down. I can't make it happen by just opening the gun, so it must be connected to recoil. I do not hold the forearm unusually tight, just let it lay there in my hand.

Anybody else have this problem? I am hoping there is a fix short of the $350.00 route.

Bill

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I had 1 last year bought it new put 6000 shells threw it loved it BUT my forarm came loose and had to be modified I was worried myself about it breaking. After the fix it fell out of the rack at Pa State shoot, and well I was upset over the dings and scratches that I sold it. I kicked myself bad but ended up with a Joel Etchens Special.

I am still looking for a cheap BT99 to replace it.

Jerry

3. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

A member at my club has one that hasn't been shot that much and the forarm came off to. Sent to browning and it came loose again. He has turned to black electrical tape around the forarm and barrel and shoots his 870 instead.

4. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

take the forarm off and get a good grade screw driver that will fit the 3 screws good on the inside of the forarm and tighten them real good if they are loose try some thread tape or loctite or some glue save the 350.00

5. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

If what shotgun says does not work , then send it to the Gun Dr and he will fix for much less than $350 with a much faster turn around.

6. bsekf

bsekf Member

Thank you all very much. I took a long and maginified look at it. I did tighten the 3 screws, they were not loose, but did turn a very little. You actually have to push the latch shut, it does not snap into place and almost pry the forearm to get it off. Just can't figure out why it is falling off on recoil. It is a gun I bought for my son's girlfriend and she was shooting it when this happened (3 times in 100 rds). I will shoot it this weekend and see if my tighting all the screws helped.

There is supposed to be a good Browning mechanic in Rochester, NY, anybody got a name and phone number???

Thanks again,

Bill

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

bsekf , Since you have to "push the latch shut" and the screws are tight, it isn't adjusted properly. It isn't gripping the barrel lug enough, that is why it falls off. The take-down lever bracket needs to be moved closer to the barrel. This requires removing wood. This is my biggest complaint with the BT's. The forearm wood is sandwiched between the forearm iron and the take-down lever bracket. This makes the wood an intregal part and dimension is critical. It is a cheap way to do it. A knowledge smith needs to look at it.
    Has it always been like this? Try taking the take-down bracket out and cleaning underneath it. Maybe there is grit underneath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 forearm latch opens when shot

bt99 latch comes loose

how to take forearm off browning bt 99