1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forearm dent fix?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have a small dent in the forearm of my gun, very small, but bothers me, any sugestions??? Thanks Jim

2. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Depends on type of finish. What is yours?

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Get a bigger dent and that little one will not bother you as much. LOL

As asked above what finish is it? You may be able to raise it back up with heat. I would live with it. It is probably going to lead to a complete refinish job.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get an old piece of a cotton tee shirt and fold it over a few times. Then soak it in water and wring it out, so it is just damp. Place it on the dent and use a soldering iron, placed on top of the cloth, to heat it up. The steam from the wet cloth will raise the dent. You might want to practice on a piece of scrap wood first. HMB

5. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I just took out a dent of a forearm for my DB-81. I stripped the finish off last night, letting it dry all night. This morning I used my steam shark, applying steam to the dent until it was fully raised. This evening I will go over it again and when I restain and refinish tomorrow it will be as good as new.

6. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

The gun doesn't care if it's dented, why should you? Go shoot it more often' I'm sure after you hit 100 straight the dent will disappear.

Harry

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As Vince just stated, steam works but you need it to be down to bare wood. It won't work thru the clear coat finishes. Use a clothes iron and an old wash cloth.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The first ding is the worst. After a few more you won't notice.

9. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Yep, "The first cut is the deepest" I'll live with it. thanks for your inputs, Jim.

10. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I now have 2 coats of Tru Oil on the forearm and I can't tell where the dent was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dent in forearm