1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford's Eco-Boost, opinions???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by oz, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oz

oz Active Member

Yeah ford had a 1/2 hour commercial on TV. it took till the end for me to determine that it was gas and not diesel. I assume it needs premium gas as it has twin turbos. I checked the ford site and it is a $4500...option I think I'd rather have the diesel. oz

2. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

FYI the eco-boost motor is a 750.00 option over the 5.0 V-8 Not 4500.00 If you want a gas motor it is IMPRESSIVE!!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Twin Turbos is asking for alot of trouble down the road. Its not really new technology. Many vehicles have been made with smaller fuel saver engines with turbos thrown on for HP. Turbos produce alot of heat. Heat can be the worst enemy of engines. When one of those turbos comes apart and sucks broken blade pieces in the engine, its a pile of junk.

While i have not owned nor driven one of these new Fords, i have owned several turbo vehicles in my time. The most memorable was a 4-cylinder 1980 Mercury Capri RS turbo. It self destructed much in the way i described above. I also drive tractor trailers for a living and have had my share of turbo destruction. If you haven't guessed, i am anti turbo for daily drivers.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Grntitan-

I said the same thing the first time this topic came up here. If you are going to lease it or only have it for a few years then perhaps, but I'm in it for the long haul. After 100k who knows what will happen with those turbos. The cost will be high to replace them.

I'd atleast let it ride out for two model years before I bought one. Its better to stick with a proven motor. Let them work the bugs out for a few years.

Nick

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm anxious to see how it works out too...my dad had a Buick 3.8L and got about 90K before the turbo needed teardown for a new center bearing and seals to cure excessive exhaust smoke...he used the best oil available at the time and even installed a timed post shutoff oiling system to keep oil cooling the turbo for 8 minutes after turning off the key...but oils have gotten better as well as turbo technology...for me, I like the torque of a nice V8 in the lower mid-rpm range...adequate displacement is still your best and most reliable bet

6. oz

oz Active Member

go to the ford site. try build one. when you click on the eco boost it jumps the price $4500........oz

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have two of them, one in a Flex, one in my SHO. They are pretty slick small engines, but honestly for a truck I would go big block if possible.

The turbos (small Rockwell units about the size of an orange) have been tested through either 150k or 170k without a failure.

Both cars perform great, but low end torque is fabulous for a small V6, but will not compete with a V8. Just can't be done, but there is no turbo lag at all. Both perform best when you spin them up, but both perform at low rpm way better than you would expect.

8. oz

oz Active Member

you have to go to the xlt to get a 5.0 standard and then the ecoboost is $750. in the cheaper models that come with the 3.7. the ecoboost is $4400.....more. makes a decision difficult. oz

9. oz

oz Active Member

ford put ecoboost up against the dodge and gm. not the honda, nissan or toyota. must have been too much trouble to fit it in a half hour propaganda commercial. It was a neat commercial though. all the companies should do this but have it certified by consumers union or someone else that was competent and unbiased. oz

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My concern would be head gaskets with the extra boost and heat. Ford has had a rash of head gasket failures on other engines at around 60K miles. Has the engine been designed from the beginning specifically to work with a turbo? Or have they added it to an existing engine?

11. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Where I work we have three Ford, F-550 4 x 4 with single turbo 6.o diesels.Range from 04,05,07 all bought new. First trans at 20k miles and dealer would not make good for it. cost 3200 to fix. Nothing but trouble from new. Transmissions ( auto ) about every 20k miles,headgaskets around 45k,EGR coolers and oil coolers replaced, front damper flying apart on crankshaft,belt tensioners,turbo trouble,speed sensors and wires connecting them, and a complete engine failure. Thats only a small list and another is in the shop as I write this. This is the 6.0 motor only, can;t say what the new engine will bring-hope its better.

We also have an older 96 ..... 7.3 diesel and its a work horse...no problems to speak of.

12. shelly

shelly TS Member

What diesel oz? This is a 1/2 ton truck which doesn't have a diesel option. Speaking of diesels, they have turbos too, which last nearly forever. Why would these be different?

Unfortunately, the eco boost engine in the 150 hasn't been around long enough to get anything but guesswork and speculation. Real world experience is a long way off.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Adding to Shelly's post, besides diesel turbos lasting so long, they run 2-3 times more boost then gas turbos. Also the diesel turbo generates many hundreds of degrees hotter temps then a gas engine. The most important thing to use with any turbocharged engine is synthetic motor oil, it will avoid coking the turbo bearing if the motor is shut down with a very hot turbo.

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I ordered one. I can't wait to get it. The ones I have drove are bad to the bone to say the least.

15. oz

oz Active Member

shelly this is a NEW engine there was no way to ascertain whether it was gas or diesel. My point is that turbocharged gas engines REQUIRE premium gasoline. why not make a diesel for a f150? Import truck manufacturers make a LOT of them for europe , africa, middle east and they are bulletproof. oz

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Oz, turbos don't require premium gasoline. That particular ford might. These days the computer will just pull the timing to prevent detenation.

17. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Nope, recommended fuel is regular unleaded.

18. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Seems to be lots of speculation on this new engine based on past turbo performance. This new engine was put thru a couple hundred thousand miles of turture and then dis-assembled at the Detroit auto show for all the cameras and the world to see how the engine wore. Everything was in spec and the engine was raced in a 24 hour race as well as used to pull logs for a logging company. The engine is a 750.00 add on trucks that are well equiped. It does NOT require premium gas. Watch the torture tests on the Ford website it is quite impressive. And the engine has 420 ft lbs of torque and 365 hp. Plus the gas mileage is rated at 21 or 22 mpg on the top end and 18 on the low end i believe. Another great Ford product that did not need govment assistance.

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Anybody who wants to know why the big 3 don't sell 1/2 ton trucks with a diesel option. Thank the EPA for trying to save the planet mandates. Diesel trucks now require urea injection and have a separate tank to hold the liquid. This fluid is periodically injected into the exhaust system to cut the nitrous oxide and carbon monoxide levels. Who the hell wants to worry about going to Pep Boys to get replacement urea at $3 a gallon also trucks have heated urea fuel tanks so the urea doesn't freeze once it goes below 11 deg. Once the dash light warns you that the urea needs refilling, you have X amount of starts before the truck will not start and the dealer needs to reset the PCM. 90% of 1/2 ton trucks are grocery getters and the $7,000 diesel option would not sell very well along with urea regen.

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There's a couple of red flags that pop up about this engine.

One of which it is a Ford V6. Ford has yet to build a good reliable V6 that will last the long haul. The 4.2 was a big step in the right direction, but it still has a few issues.

Second is the fact that the engine has forced induction. Ford hasn't fared very well in this arena either. Maybe they have gotten it all figured out, but I wouldn't want to be a "test" owner.

I can see where this engine would have its benefits for those that live and travel in areas that are a few thousand feet above sea level. it would be able to maintain the power as the air got thinner. I guess we'll see once they start getting some miles on them.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.