1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford Windstar help question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar with 82K miles. Usually runs perfectly BUT occasionally while at approx. 45 mph and going slightly up hill the vehicle will shudder as if going over rubble strips in the road.This will go on and off several or more times as I travel.Some times it will happen @ 60 mph also.It always happens in the 45-50 mph range.No doubt-- Seems like it wants to shift but is having a hard time doing so.Is this a transmission issue? What does a torque converter issue feel like. Any suggestions would be very helpful.Thanks,Dennis.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Probably torque converter. Son #1 had several problems at around 130000 and wound up replacing the converter/solenoid and a few trans parts. Little mechanical genius did it in his garage during a bad ILL January winter. It also wouldn't lock up which it seems like yours doesn't want to.

His bill for DIY was under four hundred bucks vs. 1800 estimate at a garage.

Have fun...you house will stink like ATF for abouit two weeks.

3. Chris

Chris TS Member

Have you had the transmission oil changed in it? I had a Ford pickup that did this and the oil in the transmission had broke down.

Just betting it is the transmission oil.

Chris

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe it's time for a trade in? Windstars are notorious for blowing head gaskets starting around 60K, and it's a $2K job to replace it. Given your transmission problem, which may or may not be simple, perhaps this is the time to make a deal on a new vehicle?

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A convertor flush may help, but the convertor clutches may not respond to the treatment IF that is the problem. It could also be a ton of other things. The Transmission Range Sensors were notorious for causing trouble. The sensor would not always turn on a check engine light, nor woud they always set a code, since they could "fail" within range. Forward clutch pistons were also sometimes an issue. That would usually be noticed as the vehicle is just starting to move, but has manifested itself in odd ways on occasion.

Sometimes an ignition concern can act like that. Some of these vehicles had Camshaft Sensors that were out of adjustment. If they were about 180 degrees out, the fuel injector timing would be out of sync. It would be dumping fuel on a closed cylinder causing a stumble, misfire, and/or hesitation. Light throttle acceleration would usually be the most noticable.

If you are mysteriously losing coolant, you could be looking at head gaskets.

I would do a search for any pertinent TSB abstracts and act accordingly.

6. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I ran a test today to see what the results would be--I turned OFF the overdrive control and the issue seems to have disappeared. I will run it again this afternoon and hopefully good results will remain.If so-what is causing the issue with the overdrive in the ON position?? Thanks---Dennis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.