1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford V-10

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chris, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris TS Member

I have driven two of them. The first one got 13.5 no matter if I hauled something or I didn't. The one I drive now gets 9.5 consistantly, no matter how I drive it.

The only good thing about it is I don't have to pay for gas as they are work trucks. If I had to pay the gas I would trade then off!

Seriously!

Chris

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Banks Power offers several solutions.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They are sluggish gas hogs. Nothing like the old V-8 460 big block in any aspect. Not much you can do for either performance or mileage with that modular engine. Nothing you would really notice anyway.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a K&N cold air system..and a hypertech tuner..and a Gibson exhaust...I picked over 45hp and 2mpg across the board..tow a big trailer and it does great..all I need and no 15 qt oil changes

5. white rattler

white rattler Member

K&N filter and Gibson exhaust in my 05 Excursion. I never bought it for mileage. I have had 150 flats of shells in it and the more you put in it the more it likes it. Four guys and all the gear and the thing just runs down the road. I do note up over 80 mph it does use more gas if you keep it under 70 it is not that bad. One other thing I use the mid grade gas and I can tell the difference. But it is no GT Mustang. Trevor Dawe.

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my 7.3

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

BufferBob, just to let you know if you don't already. Tron worked in a dealship shop as a repairman. He knows what he's talking about.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

BufferBob,

A slight change in driving habits will likely yield the best gains, and it is free.

If you spend $1000 for mods that yield 2mpg increase, how long will it take to recoup your costs? Most aftermarket mods vary rarely ever pay for themselves even if you keep it for quite some time.

ss

9. Butler

Butler TS Member

I've got a 06 for a work truck with utility box, pipe racks, etc. I just checked the mileage. getting close to 10 around town with very little open road driving, it is a automatic 1 ton, I bought a chip to put in it and if you will get back to me in a couple of weeks I will let u know if it changed anything and the name of the chip that I put into it.

10. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Keep the V-10, buy more gas, trade in that wimpy 12 gauge for a 10 or 8 gauge load up 2.5 oz of shot, shoot from the 16, inkball every target you see, and impress all who watch. We are in fact AMERICANS and can live in total excess and be proud. That's better than a Prius, that won't impress nary a trap or skeet shooter. Larry Lockhart

11. white rattler

white rattler Member

I would not piss on the tire of a Prius. If that is what pride of ownership is I would walk first. Some people need a work truck that can haul more than a green bag to the recycle bin. Trevor Dawe.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The only real answer, Bob, is the 7.3 Power Stroke; 22mpg loaded for a shoot to Medford or Bend and back in my experience. Mine could be sold if someone wanted a 2WD in nice shape bad enough......Bob Dodd

13. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Buffer Bob, please don't misunderstand my comment. I think you should keep the V-10 and hope for gas prices to fall. I owned a 5.4 expedition that I liked alot. The expedition used gas like it had a hole in the tank. I averaged 12 mpg. When time came to replace it, I replaced it with a Chevy p/u with the "little girl" V-8. Fuel mileage is up, but money spent is not that significant, i.e. 15k miles per year @ 11mpg = 1363 gals. used. 15k miles per year @15mpg = 1000 gals used. A little quick math is 363 gals. diff. 2.50/gal, less than 1000.00 per year, but you have 1 Hell of a truck that with minimal maintenance will run 250,000 - 300,000 easily. Factor in price of potential "upgrades" in an attempt to increase fuel mileage and you lose in a hurry. KEEP the Excursion and enjoy every mile. Larry Lockhart

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a 2002 F250 with the V10, put 40,000 miles on it with no probs. I would buy another. I however did not pull a real heavy trailor. I o nly pulled 4 wheelers, motorcycles & the like. It did not have deisel power but I put a chip in it and it really helped. I got 14 miles per gal and it did not seem to matter if I was towing. I only get 14 with my new Ford 5.7 anyway so like I said, I would buy another V10. I do not like the price of deisel fuel or the smell or the noise

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I have loved the three V10's I've owned. I'd never buy a class-C motorhome or pickup truck without one. In fact, I'm about to get another and never gave anything else a moment's consideration. "Never skip a beat" is what they do.

Neil

16. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Neil I would second that I bought a 1999 F 350 SD 4Door DRW 2WD V-10 Auto OD 4:30 Gears In Long Beach CA drove it to San Diego ANd Chino Left Chino 6pm Saturday Was in Beaver PA 3PM Tuesday. Never Missed a Beat 80mph Across CA AZ NM 75 mph all the rest and got 13.5 - 14.0 mpg all the way back. I Will never buy a GM truck again and all my GM buddys know it. PAT.

17. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

I have a 2004 F250 V10, 4.10 rear end, and have got 16.5 mpg, but that's driving 55 mph and with a cover. You might want to look at your tires, Comsumer Reports had a issue on tires for trucks and discovered a 2.4 mpg difference on Goodyear Wrangler SR-A and the General Grabber AT2.

The diesel may get better mileage but it costs $5000 more list price plus higher registration (in VT) and higher fuel cost. You can buy a lot of gas for $5000! I tow a a 28 ft fifth wheel and have no problems on the hills around here.

Be Safe.

Ron

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

My son in the construction business went to the Ford Super Duty with the V10 after having problems with the Dodge Diesel. This truck has lots of power, a lot of low end torque and pulls his extremely heavy trailers easily. He did have a clutch problem a week after he bought it but since then no problems at all just regular maintenance. I've drove it and was impressed with the power, great truck overall.

19. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

FYI, this year is the last year for the V10. It is being replaced with a 6.2 V8 that is supposed to be tops in class in towing and fuel economy according to the buzz.

Be Safe.

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm sure looking forward to seeing the new motor,..but I'm totally happy with my current setup...its just so smooth and quiet that at an idle I need to look at the tach to see if its running

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.