1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford Truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tractordoc, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractordoc

tractordoc TS Member

My shooting shack is probably going to get a new truck under it. Does anybody have experience with the 6.2 liter gas engine on a good size 5th wheel. I'm not worried about the power but what is the mileage both pulling and empty. I've been running a V10 and would like to improve on the mileage. Nearly all I see are diesels which is maybe telling me something.

Also, has anyone seen a stock with cast in it for a KX-5?

Dean Walker

2. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

If you want cast off on your stock send it to Eddie Yanchok and have it bent..He doe's a good job..You can call him for more info..

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Dean...I'm pulling a 30' travel trailer with a 2010 F150 crew with a 5.4 and I get on ave. 13.5--14.MPG and I can get 28 MPG empty on the highway if I stick to the speed limit, mind you these figures are with an imperial gal...

I've heard that the new 6.2 has lot of hp. and tons of torque. I think you would see a big improvement in fuel mileage over the V10...

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My experience with the 5th wheel situation is that the Diesel will out perform the gas engines including fuel economy. The dig, however, is the extra paid for the diesel engine and it's fuel requires a lot of years to rationalize the engine. Bar nothing, however, the diesel is the way to go for MPG and brute power as well. Now, my experience was with the 7.3 powerstroke diesel engine that has been replaced with a newer engine that I've heard (Note HEARD) will not always stand up to the wonderful record for the older engine. Mine has 98,000 miles with only tires and oil changes for maintenance.....breakemall

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Two Dogs, I would hold onto your F150 with the 5.4 as it might be a record holder. The EPA mileage rating on it empty is 14 city 18 highway. I know a shooter who has the same rig as yours and gets 8-9 towing and 17 empty. Your MPG figures are better then any diesel pickup.

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Imperial gallon.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Those that have the 2010 f150's have been getting over 20 mpg regularly. So 23 is not a record i am sure.

8. Two Dogs

Hey guys...I said IMPERIAL GAL.. That's 32oz. more than the US. gal..
    The gov. mileage sticker that came on the window of the truck when it was new showed 10 liters for every 100 klm., in English, that's 28 mpg., but remember...that's IMPERIAL gals....NO Record...Just fact...

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If your pulling, get a rig made for pulling. There is a reason why Tractor trailers are diesel powered.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

Two Dogs, 100 kilometers= 62.13 miles and 10 liters= 2.64 gallons. The mileage per gallon would be 23.5 don't go by the Ford lie o meter, you have to hand calculate gallons at the pump with the odometer readings.

11. Two Dogs

Toolmaker...your not using IMPERIAL GALLONS

10 liters divided by 4.54 is 2.2o IMP. gals...

100 kilometers divided by 1.62 is 61.72 miles..

divide 61.72 by 2.20 and walla.... you get 28 miles per IMPERIAL gallon....

12. TOOLMAKER 251

Your Govt. mileage sticker that came with the truck that says 10 liters of fuel for 100 kilometers. What does imperial gallons have to do with the equation? Your sticker would say in the US, it takes 2.64 gallons of gasoline to travel 62.13 miles. Now that comes out to 23.5 MPG in the USA. If you go to Edmonds and check any 2010 Ford F150 with the 5.4 V8 and 6 speed auto it will show the best MPG ratings as 14-20 Are you sure you have a 5.4 V8?

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You have a PM. You can also ask Tron what is good and not also. He use to work on Fords.

14. Two Dogs

Toolmaker...You just aren't listening, our gov. milage sticker is in metric,but based on the IMPERIAL GAL..All the world is metric except the US and you think you are right...

15. rocktire

rocktire Member

If money is no issue get a diesel . Otherwise go with a gasser. I say this because diesels are more expensive all the way around. More initial cost, more oil on oil change, needs plugged in, in the winter,new tier three engines are not completely proven on fords, if something breaks they are almost always more to fix. On the other hand if you are going to have a trailer on it half the time and if you are going to drive it for 10 years you may get by cheaper with a diesel. I live in cattle country where diesels rule the range, but most are not bought because they are cheaper, they are bought for grunt pulling power.

Good luck with your decision

16. miner1

miner1 Member

I see so many rigs going down the road that shouldn't be towing what they are towing. Don't forget other components such as tires (P-metric vs 10 ply LT tires) cooling system, tranny, steering, etc...just because it has a hitch doesnt' mean you are ready to go down the road willy nilly about your way. Other motorists are put in danger by those towing too large of a load and not understanding the circumstances when the 'oh shit' happens. Happy motoring.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

Two Dogs, please define what constitutes a "liter" of fuel? this is the term used on your window sticker. Does the sticker say the truck uses 10 liters of fuel to drive 100km.? I will say this 1 more time a liter is a liter anywhere in the world. If you want to convert that to US gallons it's 3.785 liters fit into every liquid gallon. 10 liters= 2.64 gallons US I am well aware of the metric system, the US auto industry started converting over to it around 1987. Where the confusion lies is you are using the metric system and your imperial gallon. Your govt. sticker never used the word imperial gallon. It states liter and kilometer. Figure out how many liters are in your imperial gallon then do the math.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Toolmaker, I had a 2003 F 250 with a 5.4 with a Knapheide service body on it that would get 23 MPG on the road, if I didn't rod it, but in town when I put my size 16 EEE boot in it it got around 12-14

It was the only gasser we have had in about 28 yrs, but they have come a long ways with gas engines, I don't think I would buy a new diesel, too much bullshit on them, and the high front end cost along with the other expenses, you'd have to put a ton of miles on one to even get close to ROI

19. rocktire

rocktire Member

Catpower I second that. now days it is common to get 200k out of a gasser. I still drive a 94 with a 6.5 turbo diesel in it and I get around 18mpg with it. it has 215000 miles on it as well, but it won't hold a candle to a new diesel or gas truck as far as power is concerned. as miner1 said, the HP and torque don't make it safe. It is the tow capacity of the vehicle with the set-up you want to pull.

20. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.