1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FORD TRUCK QUESTION: MAYBE TRON CAN HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimbob, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have a 2003 F150 Super Crew (small V8) that keeps blowing coils. I am no mechanic. I am just repeating what the dealer says.

The service writer said that each spark plug has an individual coil and sometimes they go bad and the truck runs rough. Ok, fine. The truck is doing the exact same thing as the last two times I had it fixed. The dealer said that another coil went bad, not the one they fixed the first time.

At $280 a pop, I can't afford (pun intended) to keep this rig on the road! Is the dealer jacking with me? Thanks.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I may be missing something but a set of spark plugs may cost at most $55.00.

Get a set of aftermarket plugs and be done with it.

Jerbear

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

They says it's the coil. Each plug has a separate coil. BTW the truck has 77K miles on it.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

You can get an OBD ( onboard diagnostic ) tester for as little as $50.Pep Boys. Plug it in under the dash and run the Vehicle and read the code, there will be a book and CD with it to tell you what the codes mean. Then fix it yourself.Got one for my Jag, it payed for itself with one coil pack replacement. Jeff

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I'm definately not TRON but I am a Ford technician. What I see mostly is water entry into the plug wells that causes corrosion and then the coil to fail. At 77,000 miles I would want to replace all of the plugs and inspect each of the coil boots for rust or the presence of water. After replacing the plugs and any of the boots that appear contaminated reinstall the coils using Ford's dilectric compound or an equivalent. That should take care of your problem. Good luck!

Steve

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Vehicle is equipped with COP or Coil on Plug ignition. There is an individual coil located above each spark plug and fired individually. They are subject to water intrusion and other such issues.

I would suggest looking for a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued by Ford to address the issue. I remember that some of the Expeditions and similar vehicles did have some trouble with the Coils on the cylinders near the back of the engine. They had trouble with water (rain) dripping down on them from the cowl and bulkhead. There may have been other issues addressed as well.

The cost for each one is pretty high, but within reason for a dealer. If you could do it yourself, it would be a lot less money. A Diagnostic Trouble Code would usually be set due to the misfire and would help to identify which cylinder is at fault. Some autoparts chains will actually pull these codes for a small fee or sometimes for free.

7. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Thank you Steve!

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Quackshot is right about the TSB but it only applied to earlier engines and the problem was related to coolant leaking from the heater hose connections onto the right rear coils. Generally #3 and #4. You could take a look at that but I doubt that is the trouble.

Steve

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33337

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

nice reading... Jerbear

10. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

you need to make sure all the plugs have been replaced. then if it starts missing you replace only the coil that is missing. usually the plug hole has water in it from driving in rain and hittiong puddles. it you have water in one hole its likely there will be more in other plug holes. usually the water will ruin the coil but you can try it . pull all coils and blow out holes with some wd 40 and maybe even put some silicone or dialectric grease around the top of the coil to help seal it . seem as the vehicles get older the coil boots loose their sealing capability

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Ditto to the above ford has had the problem for quite some time. You would think they could get it right, are they in financial trouble???

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

just a recommendation...consider going to High Performance aftermarket coils as I believe they are a little heartier and the sealing boots are of a higher grade material...they are available from MSD, Accel and others...plus yhet put out a bit more spark intensity

13. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Hey Joe, wish I could say I knew when I was going to be back in your area but I don't know. Dealership getting all screwed up!!! I'll email you and we can chat.

Steve

14. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Many thanks to all of you! That's what I like about TS.com. Lots of helpful folks on here.

15. DanS.

DanS. TS Member

Want to change fuel filter on a 2004 F250 diesel 6L . The filter sits on it's side on the frame. How do you bleed the air out of the system after changing the filter ? Thanks Shoot4fun

16. fordtech

fordtech TS Member

Sshoot4fun,your truck has a electric fuel pump in tank.You dont have to bleed fuel system.I recomend you use a motorcraft filter though.Also recomend changing the secondary fuel filter under hood.Motorcraft makes this in a kit,primary and secondary filter.

17. DanS.

DanS. TS Member

Fordtech, Thanks alot I'll give it a try. Shoot4fun

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Have the dealer define which coil went bad, if this continues to happen call the Ford Regional office and voice a concern. That should get the attention of the region.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

maybetron