1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FORD TRUCK PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bulgie, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Need help. I have a 2006 F 150 Triton with the 5.4 engine. In the past month I can be driving along and I loose power to the dash. Dash lights, radio, door locks and windows etc will not work. Truck has been at local Ford dealers 3 times. this last time for a week and it has not been repaired. Service manager says they have no idea whats wrong. I would think if its not a problem with the computer it has to be a relay. wire junction problem of something similar. I have seen threads about Ford trucks here before. Got any suggestions? Many thanks. Scooter

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

buy a chevy or a toyota

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gene, your mother should have thrown you out and kept the stork.

HM

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

As many on here have-- been there and done the ford thing

now ford is done

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A massive loss like Tends to be bad ground or connection. Check all fuses, actually pull them. I have seen some heavy corrosion on new fuses. We have had a few 2005 to present GM trucks with this problem also causing a battery draw. Getting good wire diagrams is tough these days. What your problem is with the dealer is COULD NOT DUPLICATE return to customer. If its not a stand out issue they will not spend much time on it. voltage drop and ohm testing should get you close. body control modules are a common issue also. A good on board diag test. gauge test,relay test, should get you in the right direction. #1 thing I must ask. Who or What if anything has been done to your truck. Aftermarket alarms, remote starters, radios, gps systems. Anything? We got a saying at our shop, go where man has been. Some of these aftermarket guys will jam a splice onto anything. We had a surge of bad ignition switches in both gm and ford last spring? Sometimes you just gotta grap what ever harness you can see and wiggle them, if dash/radio flicker you got a little closer. Please keep us posted love to know what you find.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

New truck... what about lemon law?!

Jay Spitz

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

2006 new? bet your over 36K Scooter huh. If indeed you have had this problem since new keep your records, demand invoices, when everthing finally fails you should still be covered. If did not start until after 36k. well? bought used, most states only cover safty and smog issues. exstended warrenty, read close most do not cover electrical problems above and beyound alternator. PS remember ECM are covered under 8/80 fed warrenty. 90% of electrical issue I have come across are bad grounds and piss poor quality electronics.

8. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

This is definitely the place to find out what's wrong with your truck- there is no shortage of experts here.

9. carv

carv Member

Check out the web site above. If anyone can help they can. Click on forum and go to the correct section.

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Amazing how much you all know since you're NOT the guy working on it. I pity the poor soul!

Steve

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tron should be along soon as he finishes this oil change, Maybe he can help.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

looking at the wire diagram found common circuit for lighting for dash and radio ckt19 light blue red tracer. are you loosing complete power or just lights, this circuit also powers power window switch lights, stems from radio by diagram.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The radio doesn't work in my '91 Explorer. I can't even listen to Rush. Bot the car new from a trapshooter. Just replaced the tires Firestone gave me a few years ago. Otherwise, no complaints. I'd buy another if this one ever wears out. (Also shoot a 1970 Ljutic MonoGun.)

14. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ditto what GN7777777 said!

15. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

mcclelland1911.........the truck has 27,000 miles and has had no add ons at all. I appreciate your efforts. The engine stays running and everything is fine as far as driving. Just no radio, no dash lights no power windows or door locks. I will ask the Ford store to check the items you suggested. Many thanks. Scooter

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Has a different technician/dealer worked on it each time and duplicated efforts? Has it been the same technician working on it each time? If it has been the same tech, a fresh outlook and a new perspective might help. You can try a Different dealer. Be sure to tell them the history. In any case, document everything, call Ford and register a complaint. Research the Lemon Laws in your state/jurisdiction and go for the gold if you can. It appears that the Dealer may need a Field Service Engineer to get involved with the concern to help resolve it, or at least call the Technical Hotline for assistance. They have access to resources that the dealer does not usually have. You may already be entitiled to a replacement vehicle or refund, since three repair attempts may qualify you.

You can also just hope it gets worse and becomes a hard fault instead of an intermittent. They are "usually" easier to find.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

It sounds like maclellan1911 has found the circuit that most likely has a bad ground. Now, the remaining trick is to find the same circuit on the truck. Wiring diagrams are essential but they can look very different on paper and on the truck.

I recommend you take the truck to maclellan1911 and let him fix it. I would offer him one bag of shot per hour for his effort.

Pat Ireland

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I hate findind electrical faults.lol Just keep at it get invoices everytime, Get a dealer to at least see the problem happpen and document it. should be under warrenty, There is a law regarding how many attempts to fix a issue under warrenty before replacement. Do your research.

19. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge TS Member

Send me the vin number of your truck and I wll check on oasis for any known concerns, also so I can see what has been done to the truck. Make sure the windshield does leak in the upper left corner. It sounds like a bad connection in the fuse box and gem module. Both will probably need to be replaced.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

I think it is a skeet shooting Gremlin living behind your dash afraid to come out because of the trap shooting Gnome living under the seat.

Yep ... its always a Gremlin problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.