1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford Truck Mechanics. HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I just had a lower inner tie rod replaced along with front shocks on my 2002 Ford 150 pick-up truck in preparation for a front end alignment. I asked the mechanic if he saw any other issues when he was under the truck and he said yes. I cant remember what he called them but it looks like a threaded rod that is vertical and I was told that it eliminates the bouncing while driving and stablizes when going around turns. Can someone remind me what these parts are called and what kind of job is it to change them if I were to try to do it myself. Thanks in advance.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Anti-sway bar links.

ss

3. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

not shock absorbers?????????

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

No it is not shocks, maybe it is the anti sway bar links

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I looked up anti sway bars and this doesn't appear to be what I am talking about. Any other suggestions

6. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

Sounds like the sway bar. You might try the local high school auto shop to do the work. Many times, they'll do it just for the experience or they are real cheap. I use to buy the parts and they would do the work for nothing. Reach out for the shop teacher and see what he says.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Most likely stabilizer links. They connect the sway bar to the suspension members.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ball joints were a super common problem in that vintage. To check, lift truck by lower ball control arm and see if you can push up (from the very bottom) of the wheel and see movement in the lower ball joints. To check uppers, put a pry bar on the upper control arm and pry from the frame and see if you have movement.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Vertical would have to be sway bar links, or could it be a 4x4 tha has adjustable torsion bars?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.