1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford Truck Guys... Diagnose this....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by LWLarson, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Ok Ford guys.... I have an 87 F250... 460 with manual transmission. I ran it hard the night before last plowing knee to thigh deep snow... The truck ran very well, and I worked the snot out of it. Upon finishing, I drove the truck to the house door and parked it for an hour or so... Temp below zero...

I went back out to leave, started the truck, and it would not move. The tranny has tension on the stick, and will go into all four gears with or without the clutch. The tranny will grind a bit trying to put it into reverse without the clutch...

Is the clutch gone, engagement fork frozen???? Very odd since it gave no warning noises, or signs of failure... Was running great when I parked it....

Any thoughts would be most appreciated....

LWL

2. The Boy

The Boy TS Member

The brakes are frozen

3. anthony

anthony TS Member

good luck lw... post the question in the link below and let us know the results..
    ant

http://ford.justanswer.com/Ford-Truck?r=ga%7C1%7CCars%7CFord+Truck&JCRN=Ford+Mechanics&JCLT=&JRA=&CC=&JPSE=ga&JPAC=1&JPCM=Cars&JPAG=Ford+Truck&JPCT=gacar&JPKW=power%20stroke%20diesel&JPDC=C&JPST=www.thedieselstop.com&JPAD=1707459303&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20081106-1&JCTY=none&JPLN=none&JPOP=none&gclid=CKiXjaH37pcCFQEpGgodvyWzDA

4. anthony

anthony TS Member

he we go

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Not enough info, Does the truck try to stall when you let the clutch out while its in gear?

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

this might work....or not

Eric

7. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Ok... Further info... No the truck didn't bog down as the clutch was let out. Just idles nicely with the clutch in or out...

Looked at the transfer case shifter... tried 2w, 4h, 4l, multiple times... That shifter, like the tranny shifter, still "feels" right, has tension, etc...

I do think the brakes froze from water in them, we gave the truck a slight tug with the tractor and it rolls freely now...

The drive shaft does not turn with the clutch in or out....

Very odd... The consensus from guys I checked with around here.... They think the "engagement fork" may have frozen up, and isn't engaging the tranny.... Or some other "frozen" issue....

In any case the truck is slated to go to a heated garage tomorrow, to thaw, and if it doesn't work, then further work....

Thanks for the above posts and any that may follow....

LWL

8. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

How spendy to do a clutch in a rig like that?
    LWL

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

If it holds true to form ,,,it will cost twice what you made plowing to fix it,,,in metro NY it would run around $500 or more labor plus parts

10. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Well... Twice what I made plowing was zero, so thats awful cheap.... Actually was opening up my parents place, so keeping grandpa from a day on the tractor with a snow bucket... no cab on it either... Was still worth my efforts...

The truck has been paid for, for ~7 years, so not a big deal actually... I'd do it again tonight, if it were running...

Was very odd that I drove it to the backdoor and parked it, running perfectly, only to have it dead an hour later....

I guess I will know by Saturday... I hope the weather holds...

Thanks again for the input...

LWL

11. razor

razor TS Member

could be the center hub is out of the clutch disc or the splines are wore off. let us know what you find. razor

12. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Is the 'E" brake on and now frozen???

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

LWL- I had a 1990 F-150 300 CI straight six with a 5-speed OD that did something similar. Would only go into 1st after it sat out in very sub-zero temps. Heated up the tranny with a metal trashcan lid of charcoal and once it thawed out worked again. Funny that it NEVER had that problem again. Now have a 6.0 '04 Superduty and wanted to get a plow and all the trimmings about 2 trs. ago. HAd all my ducks in a row and then decided I'd better get ahold of my insursnce agent. They wanted $2000 per yr. for commercial plowing insurance! Needless to say my truck fromt end DOES NOT have a plow hanging off it!.....Oh well. Good luck with the truck. I'll be curious to know what either was the problem or the fix.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If it would have anything to do with the brakes, the truck should stall out when the clutch was released.

I'm sure ice and snow got up in there. Besides getting it into a heated garage, lay some plywood along the sides and one end of the truck and fire a torpedo heater under the truck.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Sounds like the shifter it self is frozen.

Either snow and ice on the top/outside are locking the lever, or water somehow got inside the tranny (deep snow, breather passage??) and froze inside when you left it.

I like the idea of heating the transmission up - think I'd go for a hair dryer or two or a heat gun and pass on the charcoal in the trash can lid...

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

That trans of yours is a top loader so checking to see if the shifting fork is not broken should not be too hard. Don't rule out the transfer case,thats the last place before going to the axel's.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The clutch on that truck should be hydraulic...as old as it is and no doubt working many years in snow mud and salt, check the area of the firewall that the clutch master cylinder is bolted to...look for cracks and weakened areas when you work the clutch pedal..flexing metal will cause the clutch to be soggy and drag ..Ford has $5 piece of reinforcement metal that can be tacked in and paint in 10 minutes..reinstall the cylinder..flush and fill and bleed and you're ready to roll for another 200K

18. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Guys.... Thanks for all the help... It will be in today...

This truck only has ~29K miles... of course, it also likely has ~29K backwards miles too, as it has been a plow truck it's entire existence... All hard miles.

That said, no rust, which is rare for Minn.... The barest of options as well... But does its job...

The other odd problem this truck has is that it sucks oil like a sieve. Doesn't burn it, as it doesn't smoke like a chimney. The oil comes through atomized, and unburnt... I had a Ford guy tell me that the intake manifold gasket is notoriously bad in the 460's. I may have the guy who does the clutch do that at the same time.... Even with the issues, it runs very well... and keeps my 150' driveway and yard clear....

Thanks again guys,

LWL

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Your truck is a 4bbl correct?

20. anthony

anthony TS Member

try putting it in the garage and heat the garage up. or try to put a heater under the truck to warm things up. i know its cold where u are but we sometimes put these salamander heaters under the loader and tarp the sides to heat things up when its to cold to move them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.