1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford tractor problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by John Stefanowicz, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Ford 2000 3 cyl, gas, mfg 1969. After 60-75 min, it stutters, then stalls. Fuel pump is 1 1/2 y/o, new gas filter and gasket, no visible gasoline leakage. It will perform well for the above time. Today, touched the sediment bowl/ fuel filter< which is brass. Hot as hel.. Burned my fingers. After it sits for about one hour, easy to start. Added HEET - no difference. Using CASEY'S 89 octane. No difference with 87 octane Conoco. Carb is a Holley - has not been rebuilt. No starting problems. Is this percolation (like I had on my 42 Ford Sdn). Is this a problem with timing. Does the Holley need to be rebuilt. Should I try another new fuel pump. Problem exists whether I'm going through 4 ft weeds, or 8" grass. Always happens within 1-1/2 hours. Would vapor lock account for this.
    Thanks for any advice you choose to give. Me, I'm stuck, ( 1/4 mile from the house - happy for walky-talkies). Thanks. John

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Sounds like vapor lock, try to insulate the fuel bowl and lines going to the carb.. Some alu foil will work wonders on these type problems at times. Jake

3. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

It does indeed sound like vapor lock. Check your fuel lines, especially where they're near the engine and exhaust. Chances are it's too close to a heat source. Insulate the fuel line with foam or heat wrap if you can. Go to a salvage yard and find a power steering cooler. This is a small radiator that hooks into the power steering line on many cars. Older Fords will have them. Get one of these coolers, clean it out and hook it in your fuel line between the fuel pump and the carbuerator. Try to get some airflow to/through the cooler. This will keep your fuel cooler and hopefully elimanate your problem. We used the fuel cooler trick a lot back before fuel injection became popular.

Good luck,

Shawn

4. razor

razor TS Member

john, to me it sounds like to hot of a spark plugs from what you describe. you did not say how hard you were working the tractor when this happens. if it all of a sudden spits pops and dies within 10 to 15 seconds from the first miss and under load i would say it is to hot of a plug causeing it to pre ignite. check the plugs and let me know any more info. hope this helps, razor

5. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

While it is entirely possible that it is vapor lock, I agree more with Razor. Since you did not always have the problem ( and there are a lot of that model Fords without it in hotter weather) I would look at the plugs and timing. Sounds like it is advanced too much and therefore runs a little warm too. I have had many Fords but most of mine are John deere's but I have restored all of them and have run into this only twice, both times it was timing and plugs. Gas is or can be an issue, make sure you have good quality gas. ( absolutely no ethanol) Be sure the tank is vented and not plugged up

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I have had a couple old ford tractors and while a fuel problem is suspect, don't underestimate your coil being bad. From what you are describing I'd bet on it especially if it will not start up and run again after it is hot. Fords are notorious for this and I've heard the problem lots of times.

Go over to the above site and ask the question. It's Yesterdays Tractors. Awesome site for a Ford owner anyway.

all the best,
    john

7. SelectEnergyJim

SelectEnergyJim TS Member

I had a very similar problem with an old Oliver. I found that it was rust flakes in the gas tank. Too big to get into the line and filter but big enough to cause a plug in the tank. When I would let it sit for a while before restarting it, it allowed gas to seep around the clog and run perfect for a while. This also happened to a neighbor with an older tractor. If you think this may be the problem, use an old plastic lawn mower tank. Just strap it on top of your tank, run a new hose and give it a try. It's an easy way to eliminate or locate the problem.
    Jim

8. TC

TC TS Member

I don't think I would be running ethanol in a tractor or any engine for that matter. Not a good idea! IMHO! Tony

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would check the ignition coil at the moment of failure. Just pull the distributor feed cable from the dist. and hold to the block when turning over.

Sometimes an open winding only shows when warm and reconnects when cool.

At the very least, it needs to be ruled out.

HM

10. sallyjane

sallyjane TS Member

Had same problem with a TO30 Ferguson. Make sure the vent in the gas cap is working. It could be as simple as that. Sounds identical. It would run about an hour then start jumping and die. New gas cap cured it.

11. razor

razor TS Member

i wish john would get back on here with some more info. i agree with tron never really heard of vapor locking on a tractor. first of all almost all tractor are updraft carburators, second the ford 2000 is a higher compresion engine than the older ones here mentioned. there for that is the reason i think it could be the plugs since the lead has been taken out of the fuel most ag dealers are useing the next hottest plugs this works good for someone who does not work the engine hard all the time. we need more info. i also agree it could be the gas cap or the coil. talk to us john or let us know what it was when you get it working. razor

12. sparky110273

sparky110273 TS Member

sounds as if the coil is breaking down

13. John Stefanowicz

Ford tractor results: success! It was a bad #1 spark plug wire. It literally was popping off the plug, and also sparking at the distributor cap.
    But I did put in a radiator cap, new plugs, coil, and adjusted timing. It ran for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Idles nicely at c 650rpm-750 rpm. Now if I could just solve the leaking power steering problem, I'll be set. It first leaks out of the unit, and then from the PS control valve under the steering wheel.
    But thanks for your suggestions. Appreciate them all. John

14. steele

steele TS Member

As an owner of a 600 series Ford, which I see are very similar to many of the older Fords, 8n, 9n, Jublilee, I don't ever remember seeing a fuel pump. It always looks like gravity flow down to the sediment bowl & into the updraft carb. Where is the fuel pump located on a 2000 Series? Just curious.

15. atashooter

atashooter Member

Ummm, check the #1 spark plug wire, sounds like it's popping off the plug, and / or sparking at dist cap.

Don't ya love us wise asses?

16. John Stefanowicz

MUZZLEBLAST - the fuel pump is at the front of the engine, just behind the fan, and held by a primary bolt, which is a devil to get at. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ford 2000 tractor stalls under load

ford 8n dies when hot

ford 8n tractor starting problems
ford tractor dies after 2 hours

show me tractor 1948 frod fergson what kind of problens

trouble shoot2000ford tractor
trouble shooting timing problems in ford tractors
trouble shooting vapor lock on ford tractor