1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford Ranger Pickup?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by big joe, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

Been thinking of purchasing a new Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup. Looks like a good deal for the money. Whadda ya all think? Had good luck with yours?

Have fun
    Joe

2. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I have a 1999 Ranger XLT, 146000 miles 3.0l V6 5 speed 2WD, to date I have done one tune up, 2 brake jobs, and the normal maintenance. I am going to change the clutch soon, I just feel it has too many miles on it.

Jack

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Gas mileage is not the best in the world but it is better than a Toyota 4/4. I've had a few(toyota's and rangers) and drove them as a demo while working at a dealership. Loved the power of the 4.0 but 15MPG was not so good at today's gas prices. I preferred the automatic trans with the 4 cyl and 3.0 v6 as it's gearing was better for pulling loads(my boat). I actually got better fuel mileage with the 3.0 especially pulling a load. Jackie B.

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Bulletproof, tough as nails. One design Ford hasn't changed yet because they just keep on going. The little 2.3l is pretty good on gas and has plenty of power for a little truck unless you are really planning on working it. Good luck, great truck!

Steve

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I had a 1995 Ford Ranger STX. Ran it for 10 years. Some minor problems but awsome little truck. Sold it when I had a kid, needed a full back seat.
    Dave t.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

If your going to buy a truck BUY A TRUCK not a TONKA TOY. Buy a full size pick up that has some size and power. Nothing less then a 3/4 ton truck and up.

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Gargoyle: Fuel ecomony? The average guy doesn't need big power. But on the flip-side the Ranger is probably more expensive than a F150. Dave T.

8. missemucho

missemucho Member

I hate to keep harping about Consumer Reports, but their latest satisfaction survey found that the one category of vehicle most people said they wouldn't buy again was compact pickups (including Ranger). I vote with those that say buy full size; do more things, better resale and the gas mileage isn't that much different.
    John

9. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I had a ranger and it was a good truck. Not everybody needs a full size truck. I almost bought an f-150 last month, but the ride kept me in a car. I drive an off road haul truck for work, so it is nice to have a good ride, the 150 was to much like being at work. I dont know how much longer they will be making the ranger, I think they are nearing the end if I remember right.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have owned 4 different Rangers and have been happy with all of them. But, for a 4X4 to work well you need to put a little weight in the bed. And, always remember a 4X4 will go when the road is slick but they will not stop any better than a two wheel drive.

Pat Ireland

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

My 1999 Ranger has the 4.0 engine, 4wd,auto,extended cab,all the bells and whistles,just under 100,000 miles with just normal repairs,it will still click out 20 MPG if driven under 65 MPH. Get a bit over 65 and the gas consumption goes to about 17.

Damn good little pick/up in my opinion.

12. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Am I wrong but in the past the Mazda & Ford were the same with different name tags, also a shooting associate of mine has one that just turned 200K----Phil

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No, Phil, you're not wrong. I had a '98, V6, 2WD, ext. cab, stick shift that was great with the only exception of power in the western mountains. I had no problems with it but moved on to something that would tow 5th wheels. The replacement, 7.3 Power Stroke gets the same highway mileage when not towing and zooms over those same mountains in locked up overdrive....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I drive my 1995 Ranger to work. 150 mile round trip. 230,000 miles and still going strong. 3.0 litre v-6, standard transmission. 20 mpg if I drive 65-75 mph. I'd buy another.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I recommend a '56 Ford Pickup with a 500 c.i. Cadillac V-8 and 2:80 rear gears. Best of all worlds.

16. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I have a 2000 Ranger with 112,000 on it. Never any big problems with it.Its a v-6, 4 liter. No, it doesn't get good gas milage and the suspension could/should have been made better. Never had a tuneup, but the reason is that I always Add Gunck add additive every second tank of gas and religiuosly[sic] change the oil/filter every 3,000. Had I to do it again...I would have gotten a Tacoma!

17. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of a small pickup, consider the mid-sized Dodge Dakota. I've had large pickups and finally decided I just didn't need anything that big anymore. I went shopping for a small pickup and tried out several (including the Ford Ranger). While it's a "cute" little truck, it was just too small to suit me.

Then I tried out the Dodge Dakota. BINGO, just right. I bought one with an extended cab and the 4.7 liter V-8 engine. It has tons of torque and gets right at 20 mpg if you keep the speed under 70 mph. The price was only a couple thou more than the Ranger if I remember correctly, but it's a lot more truck, IMO. It rides good, runs good, and handles almost like a car. Give it a try if you are considering something smaller than a full size truck.

18. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

The Ford Ranger is nothing but a starter kit. The F150 is a useless truck because it can not carry the weight. Its to light. I have always had a F250. I bought a friend truck that he bought new. I knew how he took care of his equipment and he did take care of the truck but also worked it when he had to. In other words he took care of it but he also worked it. He did not baby it. I got the truck with 103,000 in 2001. It has 110,000 now. I only drive it when I have to or need to. If your concern about gas, buy a car and stop drive the truck. I never understood how people could complain about gas and drive a truck all the time.

19. big joe

big joe Member

Thanks for all the comments. Plan on getting 4.0 engine and automatic transmission. When the gal friend drives it I can call her a shiftless woman.

Have fun

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.