1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford HD F350 or Dually F350????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Which truck would be better for towing a 40 or 50 foot gooseneck flatbed trailer. F350 HD or a F350 Dually? It will be carrying about 14,000 pounds. Either one will be a diesel. I'm looking for a 7.3 or a 6.7 diesel. Not sure about the 6.4 but I will be staying away from the 6.0.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'd go with the dually...I have a 350SD single rear wheel...very capable and will do it but theres a safety factor of control and braking should a rear tire blow out with that much weight on your tail...especially if you plan to be towing more times than not

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

One thing to consider, If this will also be your daily driver, is that there are a lot of places that the 350hd will go that the 350 dually wont go. Just try taking the dually thru the drive thru line at a bank. Unless they have a special lane that is wider, it wont do it.there are some others like the drive up window at some fast food places. If it's also a crew cab with a full size bed (8 ft) there are also a lot of places where you can't turn that thing. u-turns are darned near impossible without running over the curb.

Bob

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

TXzephr has a point. No drive thrus for banking, no drive thru car washes and now a days most fast food places are a little tight. However for towing, as CalvinMD pointed out the dually is much safer tow vehicle where loaded weight is concerned.

I have an F450 dually and it's powered by a 6.4 diesel. Fuel mileage is about 10mpg towing my 40 foot 5th wheel (13'6" high). With 16,000 miles the engine response is a little sluggish but it's really not loosened up much since I bought it new. I recently drove one of the new 6.7 diesels and they are a little more responsive and Ford CLAIMS better fuel mileage. I can't speak to that. I was however impressed by the very short turing radius of my 450. It rides and handles better than I'd have thought.

Good luck with your purchase.

5. Auctioneer

I would like a extented cab if I can get it. A crew cab would not be needed but I will take what I can get for the price and condition. I use a truck for work and not to just drive around saying LOOK AT MY TRUCK. The truck works for me when I need it. I only drive it when I have to.

It will be for driving about a 2000 mile round trip to and from a factory to pick up a product. Other then that just when I need to do something.

I didn't think about the blow out on the tire. Thanks for that note.

I have a F250 4WD that I use right now for the farm, snow plowing and other things. Once that truck dies I will replace it with a standard f350HD. I use that truck for firewood and farm stuff.

6. Auctioneer

Daddiooo, Thanks for the info on the 6.4. I know the 6.0 diesel is junk and I just don't know much about the 6.4. I know the 7.3 is a great engine but the they stopped making it after 2003. They now have a 6.7 that is suppose to be pretty good.

7. daddiooo

Auctioneer,

I had a 7.3 in a 2003 F-250 and loved it. It was a beast. (140,000 miles, hardly broken in) The mistake I made was trading it in on the 450. I knew I was making a mistake when the salesmans eyes lit up after hearing it was a 7.3 diesel. Oh well...

On the subject of the 6.0....yeah, they're junk. Lots of problems. So far
    (16,000 mi) no problems with the 6.4 other than a little tight and sluggish. Once you get it and the 40 footer rolling it pulls fairly well.

6.7 is supposed to have cured all the 6.0 and 6.4 inefficiencies and problems. Time will tell.

Good luck neighbor.

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

If is is for pulling heavy trailers, get a dually.

HBT

9. Auctioneer

Right now I'm thinking of the dually and going for a 7.3 if I can find one in MY condition or a 6.7. I did start a thread on Ford diesel engins which I will now bring back but it said those two engines were the best. Thanks for the info.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Something to consider is the difference in torque between the 7.3 and 6.7 is 300 ft. tq. also there's a $30,000+ difference in price.

11. daddiooo

Toolmaker251,

When you go to buy a new Ford truck, bring 2 checks...one ain't enough. LOL

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yup...it really all depends on your percentage of time you'll be towing....I only tow with my truck about 5%-10% of the time with a standard travel trailer...but your gooseneck loaded is a pretty big beast thats 2x what I pull

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Might want to look for a cab chassis, they are narrower than a dually, and just put a flatbed on it with the goose neck ball built in

14. maxumman

maxumman Member

I have the new 6.7 great truck get it fully loaded with the 40/20/40 seats in the front and the nav. I had a 6.0 they are not a bad truck I mean if you can buy one with the injectors replaced then you'll have a good truck still I see them for sale at ok money and if your not gonna abuse it it will serve you well. New one definitely smokes it in every way and 0% will be up soon chevy and gmc already have it and thats not a bad option either the GMC diesel is better and same motor for 10 years all the kinks ironed out its your money but if your not towing a lot single wheel is plenty.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If you are going to do a lot of high speed highway driving with a full load get the Dually you won't like it when a tractor passes you doing 90mph and your doing 70mph it's no fun with single rear tires.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.