1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford Fusion Or Honda Accord Or Toyota Camry

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

My wife currently drives a 2002 Honda Civic (which has been a good car; only routine maintenance). She wants a bigger car so it will be easier to get in and out of the driver's seat (we are in our "mature" years). We have looked at the Ford Fusion and the Honda Accord and like both. The car will mainly be used within a forty-mile radius of home with 6-8 trips per year of 150 miles one way to visit a relative.

I would appreciate input on the experiences anyone has had with either vehicle (actual mileage, peppiness of the 4 cylinder vs. the 6 cylinder engines, problems, good things, etc.)

DoubleAuto

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Ford did not take any of our tax money. Honda takes the profit back to Japan even if they are made here.

3. ctreay

ctreay Member

Check out the VW Jetta's. We have an '08. More standard features than either the Honda or the Ford. Make sure you check the trunk space. My wife and I and our daughter and son-in-law take it to a lot of shoots. Plenty of room for FOUR gun cases, four shooting bags, couple of flats of shells and a cooler. 34.5 MPG last summer on a trip to Maryland, 5 cylinder 6 speed automatic.

ctreay

4. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

we have had several Honda's My 04 accord just turned 226000 little more than routine maintenance.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We bought a used (2007 model year) Fusion with the 4 cylinder for my wife to use in her business. She puts about 700 miles on the car per week traveling to various mining properties in NV anc CA.

Zero problems with the car in the two years we have had it, the engine is plenty for the car size and has no problem running 75-80 MpH highway speeds. Fuel consumption is 29-33 MpG at those speeds, it would probably be alot better at 55-60 mph but this is a big state with good open roads and high speed limits...On the subject of fuel use, the car does run better and get the better milage using gasoline without ethanol. The common 10% ethanol blend that we get around here rsults in the 29 MpG consumption.

We jokingly call it the 'old Fuddy Duddy" car because it is practical and comfortable. (plenty of room front and back and enough trunk space for a few bodies) Quite a contrast to our usual taste in cars (Z28 Camero, LandCruiser, 1/2 ton 4x4 Pu)

I would think a test drive would tell you whether it would be a good fit for you, I wouldn't worry about the quality or performance with this car.

6. FIB

FIB Member

I had a 2007 Honda Accord SE V6 and it was an outstanding car! 0 problems. I also have a Honda Civic, Odyssey, lawn mower, and a Honda outboard until it was stolen. Honda makes great stuff!

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My brother has a Fusion and loves it, and he's pretty picky

8. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Have worked in a Ford dealership past 3 years, the Fusion excellent car, never see them in for service and if you haven't heard already Ford is an American company, founded in America by an American! Honda makes an excellent product as well so nothing bad to say about them. I bought one for my daughter to drive and she is getting 33 on the hwy all it requires is an oil change or routine maintinence.

Just my opinion but maybe WE Americans should get back to supporting our own and taking pride in what WE build.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Fusion is made in Sonora, Mexico. Do you want to contribute to the local community or the country of origin? Bulge.

10. kenf

kenf Active Member

I bought a certified 2006 Fusion back in 2007 with 19,000 on it.

Today, it has 124,000 and other than filling it with gas, changing oil and recharging the K&N filter, I've only had to do the following:

the car is on its third set of tires (average 35-40K per set with rotation around 5k miles) and need replaced now

replaced front brakes once and rear brakes twice (slider pin hung up from corrosion and wore out the pad and warped drivers side)

Replaced the coolant and belt at 100K per Ford recommendation- coolant was clear and rust free and belt looked fine too.

I also switched over to Amsoil at 100k and run around 7500-8000 miles on a change.

Other than tires right now, I do need new front brakes (rotors are a little warped after 40K miles) and will put new shocks/struts on as the ride is a bit soft for my taste.

I have the 4 cyl 5 speed and get 35-35.5 mpg here in PA traveling 39 mile back and forth to work, with a few hills in between.

Overall, best car I have ever owned. Just go drive one, you won't be disappointed. My only complaint, the car will likely last until 300K or more and as much as I'll want a new one, I'll hate to give this one up until I finally wear it out, unless the put the 2.0 Ecoboost in one!

Plus, replacement parts in the long run will be way cheaper for the Fusion than for the Honda.

11. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

We have been a Ford family past 40 years. My wife just bought a 2011 Fusion, with just about every option available. It's a 4 cylinder. It has about 3000 mile on it now. Highway it turns 33 MPG, and her short trips to work about 27 city/country roads. It has plenty enough power and can't hardly hear or feel it shift. (6speed). A friend has a 2008 pushing 100K miles on his, other than routine tires, brakes etc, no other problems. This 2011 is one of the nicest cars I have ever driven. I like the camera in the rear view mirror when backing up, and the blind spot light that come on in the side mirrors when a car is next to you. Although I'm not due for a new car for me, if the price was right on a 2012 Fusion Sport for myself, I'd do it. F/S.

12. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I had a 2003 Accord V6--great car!

But my 2010 Subaru Legacy H6 3.6R AWD is far superior, and far easier to get into and out of for us old folks!

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Since retiring in February, I've been looking for a part-time job that doesn't involve evenings or weekends and recently found one - driving cars for Enterprise Car Sales. I'm in anywhere from one to eight different cars every day for a few minutes to several hours and that makes it easy to make fair and accurate comparisons.

High sticker prices don't always go hand-in-hand with a car being nice to drive. Just yesterday, I drove a M-B E350 4Matic 102 miles. Very nice - smooth, comfortable and felt "solid." But it didn't offer much more of any of those things than a lot of much less costly cars and I usually can understand what the controls are for in those.

As many know, I retired from 38 years in dealership service management, primarily with GM dealerships. But now I'm spending a lot of time driving Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans and I'm not impressed. Their automatic transaxles seem to have a hard time deciding which gear they want to be in and coast-down downshifts are just plain weird. Interiors are "highly plastic-laden," sunshades don't shade much sun and in general, the cars just feel light and I don't know - cheap? I know they are well-made, but they just don't feel that way as much as other makes.

A Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is a really nice ride. A little hard on fuel for my taste (I'm used to 30mpg), but Chrysler has come a long way. I made the return trip from dropping off that E350 in a Grand Caravan SVT (or something) and was very impressed with that, too. But Jeep Liberty seats could not be any harder and less comfortable if someone tried.

And the cars that I like best, so far? Fords, especially the Fusions. They're tight, ride well, deliver good fuel economy, offer very adequate power and look good, too.

The worst (so far, anyway)? A Hummer H2. Uncomfortable. No power. Front seats don't adjust rearward enough for even my 5'10" frame. Rearview mirror is so far forward that the seat belt doesn't allow you to reach it. A factory audio system I couldn't figure out how to turn off. And I could go on.

The rental office in our building just received a load of high-end 2012 Fusions with two-tone leather, sunroofs and 17" wheels. I've already reserved one for our upcoming trip to Virginia for our son's September wedding.

When my Regal is ready for retirement, I think there is a Ford in my future!

All of that brings me to this suggestion - why not rent each one you're considering for a weekend and see for yourself which one you like best? I'm sure all rental companies offer weekend package discounts like Enterprise does.

Ed

14. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Barrelbulge, surely you consider Mexico as part of the local economy.

15. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

My father fought so you could live to by American. I like the Taurus or a used Cadillac.

Harry

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

DoubleAuto, I know a half dozen people who are driving Fusions both company and personal. They all like their cars.

I would go rent both of the cars for a weekend and see which you prefer.

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Honda is made in Ohio with a very high domestic content, the Fusion is made in Mexico with a very low domestic content of supplied parts.

Screw Ford.

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Toyota Camry's are made in Lexington, KY. Our Daughter has a 2007 4 cylinder Camry LE and it has about 40,000 trouble free miles.

The Camry will return a high per cent of resale at trading time.

Ed Ward

19. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Also looking for comments on the Toyota Camry.

Thanks

DoubleAuto

20. Robb

Robb Member

Honda makes a great car. Never owned Toyota but don't overlook the Nissan Altima. Wife drives one now and it is alot of car for the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.