1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford ECO-BOOST V6 ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CW638YORK, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

Hey guys...

Any input regarding the Ford Eco-boost v6 engines in the current F-150's ??

My 2010 F-150 5.4 V8 was just destroyed in front of my house while was sleeping and now I have the lovely task of replacing it.

I'm looking @ the used 2011-12 F-150's w/6.6 bed just like I had. I have seen some on dealer lots near me with the Eco-boost V6 and was wondering if any of you could provide some personal input from experience?

Thanks for your time,
    Chris

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Damn they smacked it good

I have no first hand experience but they have been getting good reviews

3. philk

philk Member

Went with the 5 liter just because I didn`t think the 6 cyl. would sound good. But that 6 cyl. puts up slightly better numbers, no denying that. Wish they had a twin turbo ecoboost 5 liter that would really be cool.

4. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I have a 2012 Ford F 150 with the Ecoboost engine. It has plenty of power and pretty good gas mileage for a full size 4 wheel drive vehicle. My gas mileage is about 19mpg around town and on short trips. On longer trips or highway, I get about 23 to 24mpg. Biggest draw back is the size of the fuel tank. It has a 36 gal. tank so it costs pretty close to $100 to fill it up.

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have two Eco boost vehicles...one in a Flex my wife drives, one in a Taurus SHO that is my driver.

Both have been rock solid for almost 3 years. Plenty of power, decent mileage. SHO gets a bit better not being a moving box, and the SHO has higher gear ratio for quicker acceleration. Other than that, I suspect they are identical, and both AWD units.

I had concerns about longevity, but after thinking about it, I don't keep cars that long, and both are due to replace as soon as the 2014 models hit. I also read after the fact that Ford had tested the small Rockwell turbo's out to 170K miles without issue. Wife is staying Flex, I am moving on to another brand, but that is nothing new. Actually keeping my SHO 3 years speaks volumes, as normally I would trade yearly, but have not seen anything I like better. Holding out for new features in the 2014 model year.

6. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Lots of power on our 2012 F-150 4 door with the 6 cylinder Ecoboost.
    Mileage will be 21 at 55 mph. (Who does 55?) 16 @ 75mph and degrades as you go faster. I think the mileage is a little over rated.

If you fill up the 36 gallon tank at $3.50, it's $126.00.

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

My ECO-Boost does as good as or better than the 8 cylinder. It actually sounds better than the 8 cylinder. It has a fairly high trailer tow limit but I have not pulled anything.

It has 44k miles on it and this is the first year. Average fuel around town is about 17.5. Average combined is about 20. On the highway at 68 MPH gives about 23. Highway at 74 gives about 21.

I would be driving something that gave better mileage but I need the box every now and then.

It actually feels as good as the Tahoe I had before felt.

8. bevolt

bevolt Member

I was shopping for the eco-boost last summer and found out that I would have to pay a 2-3k premium for that engine over the 5.0L V8 engine. I don't need the extra HP and torque so the price premium kind of took the fun out of it for me.

9. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

I drive a GMC pickup but:

Here are the links for the series of tests Ford put this V-6 engine through. Watch them in order.

Segment 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMD-n2D_18

Segment 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=DYrKCg5P7LU&NR=1

Segment 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxN3JnQ47b0&feature=related

Segment 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_bbzRLdDM&feature=relmfu

Segment 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Pi00oBv3Q&feature=relmfu

Segment 6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lToZuwbQhLk

10. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

EcoBoost is $1095 list, $934 cost over 5.0 V8.
    Ken

11. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have the V6 Ecoboost in a 2010 Lincoln MKT, wish we got the mileage others are saying. 16 average almost always. Any city driving eats up what you make on the highway. Been to the dealer and all checked OK. I didn't buy it for gas mileage, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. Harv

12. JPM

JPM Member

I have two sons-in-law and a friend with whom I shoot who all have the Ecoboost engine in F-150 crew cab design trucks. None of these three vehicles has ever approached 20 mpg under any circumstances. 18mpg on the highway with me driving has been the best they have seen. JPM

13. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

At 2500.00 per turbo to replace after warranty, I said no thanks.

14. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

Thanks for all input...

Chris

15. bevolt

bevolt Member

NJFlyer writes:

"EcoBoost is $1095 list, $934 cost over 5.0 V8. Ken"

The catch is there are a couple rebates on the 5.0L V8 that you can't get with the eco-boost, making the price difference 2-3k (at least last summer).

16. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Exactly a year ago I bought a new 2012 F-150. With the eco-boost it would have cost me almost $3000 more out the door. Not worth it to me. The dealer was really pushing them. Rich

17. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

5.0 rebate is $500.00

18. Yote Hunter

Yote Hunter TS Member

I am going to stir the pot, there are 3 posts on this topic that are telling it like it is, RemDog1187, Shotshell and JPM, told it about as true as it gets.
    For all you other people that have to have the best MGP out there, you are not telling the truth or you don't now how to figure gas mileage. I have 2 of these p/u's (Crew Cab 4WD) with eco boost motors and a very good friend who has one, they all get around 16 MPG. RemDog posted 16 MPG at 75 MPH and degrades the faster you go, the only thing I would add to that is if the wind is blowing any it degrades even more with the exception of a tail wind. I am very happy with the power it has for towing, the best towing experience with a gas motor that I have ever had. And for those wondering what kind of MPG I got when towing, I towed a suburban on a heavy car trailer for almost 300 miles, got less than 9 MPG at 75 MPH.

I know I will make some people upset questioning their ability to figure gas mileage, but as with all forums regarding gas mileage, very few people tell it like it is. I have first hand experience (times 2) with the ecoboost motors and I am just telling it like it is. Sometimes TRUTH HURTS.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

This may stir the pot, but here goes: I have a 3/4 ton 2012 GMC Crew Cab 4wd Duramax. It gets about the same mileage, overall, that others quote for the Eco-Boost. And the Eco-Boost is pricey from what I can tell; heck, for not too much more, if you can afford it, get a "real truck" such as a Duramax, my first choice, and second choice would be a Dodge, errr Ram truck with the Cummins diesel. I just don't trust Ford's diesel efforts right now, my personal jury is still out on the newer Ford diesel engine and the 6.0 and 6.4 Ford diesel engines (made by International Harvestor) gave too many too much grief.

20. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yote, they will pass everything on the road, except a gas station, lol. Harv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.