1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford/Cummins Engine Possibility

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pugus, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pugus

Pugus TS Member

I've heard gossip around that Ford will be using a Cummins Engine in their 2010
    F150. Has anyone else heard this?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

From what I understand it will be a International designed 4.5 liter made in Mexico.

3. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

how many 1/2 ton diesels are out there right now? Maybe in a 250 or 350 but not a 150. Birdtracker

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You ought to see the baby D'max that has been developed by GM. It is in the mid 4 liter displacement group, but does things a little different. The exaust comes out where the intake would normally be found and the intake is where the exhaust would normally reside.

The engine was designed this way to make the turbo more responsive and cut down on the plumbing, especially on the hot side.

Economics will dictate whether a half ton diesel P/U will ever hit the market again. The big three have them developed, but money may keep it from happening.

ec90t

5. fordtech

fordtech TS Member

This is just a rumor.Ford has been in development for last few years of its own engine.This engine is Fords design ant not Navistar.Ford cut ties with Navistar on the diesel engine program.The new engine will be built in Mexico.They will not use the Powerstroke name on this engine either.It will be called the Scorpion.Acording to Ford horsepower around 360.It is a direct injection engine.At this point this is only info Ford has let us know about.I just came out of a Ford traing class last week and the instructer stated later this year for release date.
    Don

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

So far, Ford has stuck with the International diesels...but problems with the ones made in the Huntsville, Alabama plant have greatly strained relations between the companies. There is a rumor going around that Ford is developing its own diesel powerplant internally, and intends to kick International to the curb as a supplier somewhere down the road. If you've paid attention to the news, Ford and International were suing each other over this issue some time back.

I had not heard the Cummins thing yet...but I guess I can't rule it out. Cummins as a company is always needing to find customers for its engines...and continuing to have their wagon hitched to Chrysler doesn't seem the best idea.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

My Ford dealer told me a couple of days ago that the F-150 for 2010 would have the diesel option. Didnt say anything about who would be making the engine, or where.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

It seems to me that I heard something years ago that Ford owned a good part if not all of Cummings and when Chrysler wanted the Cummings for the Ram part of the deal was that Cummings would not sell the same engines to Ford for light trucks.Bill

9. Hooked

Hooked Member

The last I heard, Ford may no longer be going ahead with a bored out, 4.4l version of the 3.6l V8 turbo diesel out of the Range Rover in the 2010 F150. They may now be considering a turbocharged V6 with direct fuel injection (i.e. their Ecoboost motor).

Brian

10. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

cummins has a engine that will go in most suv's f-150's and 1500 pickups this is a smaller engine than the big horse in the dodge ram. who will get this engine is not known at this time...

11. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

When diesel was $1.00 or more per gallon more expensive, there wasn't much demand for diesel vehicles. That's why all the diesel plans went on the shelf. Now, that might change.

12. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

As far as I've heard the 4.4 will be going in the Ford, Diesel Power Magazine just released an article about it in this month's magazine, the baby D'max is also set, as for dodge, who knows? They have the old 4bt Cummins but the rumors are flying around about a small v8 being built by Cummins. As for the heavy Duty side Ford is set to release their 6.7L in-house built diesel nick-named Scorpion, Chevy has an "ultra-max" being tested, and Dodge i believe is working on refinments to thier 6.7, The new Ford motor that's being tested is said to be putting out 390 hp but some think that rating will go up do to Chevy's new motor being rumored at 425hp

Smokey

13. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

The 3.9 L Cummins is simply 4 cylinders of the 5.9 L. The 3.9 shakes like a paint mixer compared to the 5.9 unless the twin shaft balancer is attached. A friend of mine stuffed one in a 3/4 ton 2WD Suburban quite a few years ago. He has over 100,000 miles on it. He averages mid to upper 20s mpg combined driving, and over 30 mpg on the highway with it. His Suburban weighs about 6000 lbs. It is not a hot rod like most of the 6 or 8 cylinder diesels being produced today. It will run down the road at over 70 mph if you want to. I think the U.S. auto makers have missed a huge market by not producing a small to medium diesel for passenger vehicles. Have you looked at the price of used VW TDIs lately?

14. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Rem31TC

I love those little 4 banger diesels, I'm trying to find one right now just go see what kind of power one can make. I've seen turbos as big as HX40's (bigger than a stock 5.9 Cummins turbo) being put on small diesel motors and spooling ok, the plan would be to build it and put in in a Dakota, Ranger, or even an S10 I wonder what kind of mileage that would get?

15. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Smokey-
    Have you looked at the Mercedes 5cyl 617.95X turbo diesels? They are a very long lived engine. In excess of 300,000 miles is nothing. I think that their horsepower potential is severly limited by the injection pump. That being said, they will produce adequate power with a turbo upgrade for the size of vehicle you're looking at. The 3.9bt Cummins will produce more power but it weighs quite a bit more than the MB diesel. There are a couple of good forums for the MBs. One of them is SUPERTURBODIESEL.COM.

16. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

only thing about those are that it'll be more of a racing vehicle than a daily driver, and i really wouldn't even know where to start on a Mercedes. The original plan is to go with the muscle car idea (Big motor+light vehicle=fast) meaning going with the 5.9, But I'm thinking some head work, maybe a custom cam, tweaking the injection pump, bigger turbo, wastegate, and a litle giggle gas would make a little 4bt scream, and most of that stuff I have sitting around here or can do myself. But if it were for a truck to putt around in, i'd for sure look into them and I'll keep them in mind to see what kind of mods can be done

Smokey

17. frey

frey TS Member

WENT TO ARGENTINA THREE YRS AGO AND WAS TRANSPORTED FROM THE RANCH IN A RANGER CREW CAB L;STRAIGHT SHIFT, DIESEL AND IT RAN REAL WELL WITH FOUR PEOPLE AND EQUIP.

18. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Fords newest diesel from April 2009 www.dieselpowermag.com V-8 4.4l 1/2 ton diesel and they show it in a range rover. The artical states it is shelved until the market is ready for it, but they have a diesel for a half ton

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I heard this is all a decoy; the big three plan to come out with the late Smokey Yunick's hot vapor engine in their trucks.

Diesels have been banned in California for next year; the diesel engine has prompted too many redneck jokes in this, my state which has led to ill will and to road range in some instances; the legislature has found that the Cummins, PowerStroke, and Duramax prompt too much name calling and ill will. I love my Duramax, but have re-badged it with Volvo emblems. Volvo does make trucks and now all is cool.

I do think the hot vapor engine will be the way to go in the future.

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

221, Explain that to the europeans where more then 50% of the new vehicles sold are diesel powered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.