1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford Crown Vic "fires"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Looking at the paper today it seems like Ford has a problem with the Crown Victoria Police Interceptors!!! Flash fires from the gas tank explodeing. According to my local paper they are saying it is worse than the Pinto's of yester year as the fiery crashes in this car has clamed more lives!!! I thought that this was a very solid car because law enforcement have used them for many years. Has anyone else read about any problems locally around you??? Or is this just some local Hype by my local paper??? Break-em all. Jeff

2. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Ford Crown Vic

You need to check the circumstances.

The police spec vehicles have to withstand something like a 70mph (may be higher) rear impact.

"The story" a while back was that cars that passed this test failed in service because when in service the boot (trunk) was often stuffed fool of sharp and incompressible kit like shovels, picks etc. In a rear impact these punctured the tank.

Andrew.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ford Crown Vic

A highway patrolman was killed sitting in the car doing paperwork last year and it is the anniversary of the crash. The gas tank is placed between the bumper and the rear end, and at high impact it drives the tank into the rear end and differental and ignites the fuel and totals the whole cars interior. You should see the pix in paper. Now I see that Ford is stopping production of this car. Now that makes me double wonder!!! Break-em all. Jeff

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Ford Crown Vic

What's the difference between the police model,the regular crown vic, and the merc marquis as far as fuel tank and fire ? Same cars, different name, fuel tank same place on all. Just wondering......

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Ford Crown Vic

They were supposed to install a "revision" for the cop cars, but damn how are you supposed to build something to withstand a 70 mph rear end collision, and still have enough ooomph to catch the bad guys, the damn thing would be as heavy as a tank

They gotta put the fuel tank somewhere, guess they could put it in the passenger compartment like they did on the old pickups

Now that was real safety

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ford Crown Vic

Catpower--I had a '72 GMC pickup for a short time. With the gas tank essentially behind your seat i hated firing up my Marlboro's in that truck. I was always waiting for that kaboom. Piss poor design. I believe in '73 they finally got smart and moved that sucker down between the frame rails.

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Ford Crown Vic

maybe the guy riding in the back should have to sit on top of it! Birdtracker

8. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Ford Crown Vic

I've owned four of these things - all high mileage. I'd buy one and then one of my friends would want it.

They are one of the best cars I've ever owned for the dollar spent. Best gun show cruiser I ever traveled in. (I guess that's not saying much for my taste in cars, eh?) They go 225,000 miles easily - often much, much, more, drive like a dream, handle like a sport car and get pretty darn good mileage. Regular gas, too. Not the ugliest of the "Jelly-bean" design years, but not the prettiest either.

Geeze, they sure are long-lasting, though. They cruise at 80mph.....
    Change the trans fluid at each 30,000 mile interval; watch the oil level if it is a high mile car. Power window linkage is a weakness, but can be permanantly cured with a 7/16" nut in lieu of the original link.

"Keep the shiny side up, and the oily side down".
    Mike

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ford Crown Vic

The Crown Vic is one of the most trouble free vehicles in production. As a prior service manager for Ford, Toyota, Gmc and Buick all at the same time I learned what a lot of other people already knew. Twenty eight MPG on the highway was the norm from 1988 on and was safe to drive. Toyota didn't make anything that had the ride and economy. The only thing Buick had going for it was the 3800. My next thought was what vehicle could stand up to a 70MPH rear end crash. None that I know of. Jackie B.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ford Crown Vic

My soninlaw drives one of those Tahoe's in Savannah Ga. to provide a good compartment for his drug dog Jack. It has been a pile as he put it. It now has 120,000 miles and the engine is shot and there's not room on here to list all the problems they've had with it. It did handle well at speed though. Jackie B.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ford Crown Vic

I own one & I agree with Jackie, best car I ever bought and I have owned them all

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Ford Crown Vic

According to CBS when Chevy moved those gas tanks from the cab to the frame they made them unsafe. I think Dan Rather had to plant a bomb on the tank to make the point but hey the end justifies the means.

Even with a race car style fuel cell there is not guarantee that there won't be a fuel leak and fire in a 70mph crash.

13. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Ford Crown Vic

If these crates were only driven by housewives (like Volvos are), they would be viewed as the safest car on the road, by far.

The fact that these are driven by cabbies, cops, fire chiefs, fleet drivers, etc., and enjoy a long lifetime on the used market (where they are driven by all sorts of down-market types) gives them a somewhat statistically less-safe record.

14. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Ford Crown Vic

I manage a police fleet with a lot of Crown Vics in it. Best car out there for police work. The fire thing is old news & highly over publicized (as in BS). The Crown Vic is no longer in production. The line will close in August(in Canada). I have 4 new ones on order but orders can no longer be placed. The new police car for Ford is based on the Taurus & will be produced in Chicago. The new Chevy police car is being built in Australia (see don't you feel good about all the money we gave GM now!) The Dodge police car is built in Mexico. Colonel

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ford Crown Vic

Old News. There was an update to keep suspension members from perforating the fuel tank in high speed rear end collisions. Not talking 40-50 mph. More like 80+. Hardly a pinto at 30. Lets see the average vehicle when an SUV hits from behind at 80+. It isn't pretty. the vast majority of the CVPIs were pertty good in most circumstances. Why not complain about falling off a 200 ft high bridge onto the deck below? Certainly extreme circumstances, but Ford still took it serious and updated the vehicles.

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Ford Crown Vic

This is very old news. Something like 10 years maybe. Ford made a design change that fixed if plus in some cases put a box in the trunk that was a nice storage container. They called them "Cop Boxes" I have one in my Grand Marquis.

TB

p.s. glad to see you back on the air Quacker.... You have about as better of chance being fried in a Crown Vic as seeing a Kemen hull base wad clogging a barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.