1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ford alternator

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by halfmile, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Changing daughter's 93 F-150 alternator (4.9 six) andfound it hatd a rebuilt on it. The wiring is not able to disconnect from alternator, rather has been spliced into the truck harness. I recall having this happen once when we were stranded in SD and had to get a rebuilt which had wires coming out of it instead of a connector.

At that time we cut the harness and spliced in the alternator wires. Now I have an alternator from the salvage yard that needs a connector and a truck with a hardwired alternator.

Ugh. looks like I need to go get a plug from salvage yard. Anoyone been ther?

HM

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

An auto electric shop might have a used one for cheap.

I recommend you solder the wire and put shrink tubing over the joint.

3. halfmile

I use some good crimp sleeves when necessary. I guess the rebuilders had some problems with the connector and started supplying alternators with the plug hard wired. This is what's in the truck and not working.

I have a standard alternator that needs to have a plug stuck into it when in the truck. But I have no plug, since the hardwire alternator was prviously installed by the last owner.

If it was easy I might think of disassembly/reassembly of alternators, switching the plug configuration.

HM

HM

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Please don't get me started with Fords Alt.s. I replaced to many of them. You will have to replace the wiring harness every time you replace the alt. Only buying a new harness from the factory stoped me from burning out there Alts. If you follow the harness back across the engine you will find another plug so you can get the 4-5 section that you need. You need a good harness for the extra High Output of Fords Alts. Fires are a bad thing. Break-em all. Jeff

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

your local ford dealer is your best place to get one ,not used,new ones have no problems with them is the plug,solder connections and use shrink tubes ,must have a gooood join

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I was able to get a new plug from my local NAPA store at a very reasonable price. The old plug had heated up to the point it melted right down into the Alternator-Voltage regulator area. I don’t think the alternator went bad but the connector-plug that caused all problems. I also was going through alternators on a somewhat regular basis.

I did just exactly what vdt said.....bought a new plug,...used bare crimp connector, crimped, soldered and then used heat shrink tubing over the top.

Never had that first moments problem after that. My Daughter drove that poor old Merc until a BIG tree limb from a neighbors tree, fell on top during an ice and windstorm in Terre Haute.

She really loved that big old boat. She drove it from the first day of her drivers license to a Junior in college. We switched cars a week ago and I noticed she still had a set of keys to it on her key chain 2 years later. Said she just couldn't get rid of them.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

HM, The guy at the salvage yard should fix you right up. Probably won't charge anything if you bought alternator from him. At least that's how it works at my yard. Bill

8. halfmile

Yes, He will. I will pack the connector with dieelectric grease though now that I am hip to the problem.

They do sell new connectors with 6 inch leads and some heat shrink for around 15 bucks, found on the net. I would guess one of the parts houses has them too if needed.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.