1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FORD 6.4 DIESEL 2009

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shoehorn324, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

I see a few good coments on the 2009 6.4 twin-turbo powerstroke

Anyone out there had any experance they would like to share?

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

My friend just got one 4 weeks ago. One of the turbos went out and when he went to check on his truck they had the cab off so they could fix replace the turbo. He has nothing good to say about the ford diesel. Of coarse that's coming from a guy that used to own Dodges.

3. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Everything I have read about the new Ford Powerstroke has been very positive. Ford is coming out with their own diesel in the 2011 or 2012 model so it is a good chance the 2008-2010 Navistar trucks might be in high demand. I hope Ford gets their own diesel right the first time but I am sure there will be a few bugs to work out at the very least.

I drive a Duramax but I do not think I would have any problem buying the new super duty with a powerstoke.

4. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge TS Member

The 6.4 is one giant hunk of junk. I am a service manager at a
    Ford dealer ship. We have seen blown head gaskets, bent rods, egr coolers leaking and front covers with holes in the water jacket. There is a new recall on the injectors, 48 pages of vin numbers and about 150 vins to a page. No wander Ford is not making money. The gas mileage is very poor and you cannot get gears lower than 3.50. So if you want to pull you are in trouble. Lee Dodge

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Lee Dodge, I think the Ford service manager is misinformed on gear ratios. The highest ratio available is 3.73 then 4.10, 4.30, and 4.88 Are you sure your not looking in the Pinto specification manual?

6. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge TS Member

That used to be. Not any more. You have to go to f350 cab and chassis to get lower than 3.50. You had better talk to a sales person.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

Lee, I checked the Ford specs. at my dealer over the phone and he said the F250 with the 5.4 gas is 3.73 the 6.8 gas is 4.10 and the diesel is 3.73 for 2009 models.

8. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge TS Member

He's right, thats what the specs book states. Try to order one. F250 4x4 only comes with 3.55 gears. I just ask the sales manager. They had to call Ford Motor Co to get this information.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just bought a new 2008 F-450 with the 6.4 Power Stroke and the lowest gear you can get is a 4.30.(which is what I got) The other option is a 4.88 and after you drive both I can say with some confidence you'll opt for the 4.30 because the 4.88 stays "wound up like a banjo string". (high RPM all the time)
    I traded a 2003 F-250 7.3 Stroke with 140,000 on it an never did anything other than regular service. I can only hope that the 6.4 is half that good. So far only have about 4000 miles on the 6.4 and so far so good. MPG around 12 right now but Ford says about 14-15 after break-in. Hope this helps.

Dave

10. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

My buddy works for a firm in Michigan that test all kinds of vehicles. Their experience with the new 6.4 ltr, was not good at all. My buddy told me over a year ago to tell all my friends thinking of buying the new diesel to stay well clear. the one biggest problem they found was they were making oil. fuel leaking down past the rings. 1 of the 5 test trucks they had made over 2 litres of oil in 24 hr period. it grenaded the engine after the 4rth day of running...

11. TOOLMAKER 251

1 MoreRound, I guess your buddy that does all that scientific research and development never told you why or how the engine grenaded. What happened was it was a faulty injector that was leaking and it washes down the cylinder wall of all lubrication, the piston starts to gall the wall and build lots of heat and resistance until the wrist pin or rod lets go and you have a catastrophic failure. This scenario is not rare in a common rail fuel injection system. You are dealing with a system that is putting out between 26,000-30,000 PSI at the injector tip and this is not a timed leak, its a constant flow leak. Tell your buddy you learned it on trapshooter.com

12. Hunter40

Hunter40 TS Member

36000 miles on mine, mostly towing to trapshoots. Not a single problem. Best truck I've ever owned. Knock on wood....

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm not going speculate either way what may or may not be junk but I do know in all cases with the big 3's heavy consumer diesel trucks...that they all ran fine and very economical before our beloved balloonheaded politicians decided that a heavy duty trucks exhaust must exit the tailpipe no more harmless than a toddlers fart...Oh they are clean all right...It just takes another half gallon of precious fuel per 15miles or so at a sacrifice in torque and Hp....Wow its a good thing we have them looking out for best interests isn't it???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.