1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forcing Cones

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MyronE, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyronE

MyronE TS Member

I would like to know your opinions about whether lengthening the forcing cones reduces felt recoil.

2. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

The hardest recoiling gun I own is the only one which has long forcing cones. Go figure.

3. Bob A

Bob A TS Member

Had mine done in my 90-T a few years back by Dennis DeVault. Superb work. Gun patterned slightly better but I noticed no reduction in felt recoil. If all you're looking for is a recoil reduction, I don't think lengthening the forcing cone is the best first step. If you want to improve your patterns, go for it.

Bob

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Longer forcing cones are supposed to result in more uniform pellet distribution downrange in the pattern. It might if the barrel has no forcing cone to begin with but I saw no improvement in going from a 3/8" long cone to a properly polished 1 1/2" cone in a Beretta.

Morgan

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I cannot see how changing the angle of the forcing cone (lengthening) would have an affect on recoil.

Pat Ireland

6. MyronE

MyronE TS Member

I had heard arguments both ways on this issue so I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for your replies. If someone has a different response, I would like to hear that as well.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Longer forcing cone increase felt recoil.
    Short cone make the payload force the barrel forward for a mere fraction of a moment, partially cancelling out reward movement of the gun.

True.

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I honestly cannot tell the difference. I know a lot of people believe it and those folks also believe in backboring and little holes drilled/cut into a perfectly good barrel. For me, gun fit has everything to do with felt or perceived recoil.

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

recoil reduction = increased weight.

10. MyronE

MyronE TS Member

The jury has reached a verdict. The voting was unanimous. Case closed.
    Thanks, Myron

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I am certainly no expert on this subject by any means, but I did just purchase a new Browning XT and in its brochures it mentions that all new XT's come with lengthened forcing cones for better paterening and less felt recoil. If that helps

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep in mind that the term lengthening the forcing cone is a bit of a misnomer. All that is done is the angle of the forcing cone is changed from something like 20 degrees to 30 degrees (numbers are my guess).

Pat Ireland

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Longer forcing cone increase felt recoil. Short cone make the payload force the barrel forward for a mere fraction of a moment, partially cancelling out reward movement of the gun."</I>

You shoulder must be INFINITELY more sensitive than mine if you can feel THAT!

<I>"...I did just purchase a new Browning XT and in its brochures it mentions that all new XT's come with lengthened forcing cones for better paterening and less felt recoil."</i>

It's amazing what effect a simple suggestion can have on a receptive mind.

Morgan

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Keep in mind that the term lengthening the forcing cone is a bit of a misnomer. All that is done is the angle of the forcing cone is changed from something like 20 degrees to 30 degrees..."</I>

...which, in turn, serves to increase the length of the forcing cone from something in the neighborhood of 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches or longer, depending on the new angle. The only way to change the angle of the walls of a cone to the base BUT still retain the same base diameter is to make the walls longer.

But, then again, in fairness to Pat, the point of the exercise IS to reduce the angle of convergence of the cone to increase the time over which the consolidation of the shot mass takes place, so I guess...

Morgan

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Morgan- Changing the angle of the forcing cone will lengthen the cone, but nowhere near the figures you posted. The change is around 1/16 of an inch. Factory forcing cones are around 3/16 of an inch.

Pat Ireland

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Morgan- Changing the angle of the forcing cone will lengthen the cone, but nowhere near the figures you posted. The change is around 1/16 of an inch. Factory forcing cones are around 3/16 of an inch."</i>

Sorry to disagree, Pat, but I have next to me a barrel that had the forcing cone reamed last week to a length of 1.5 inches and the gunsmith who reamed and polished that one is capable of extending the cone to a bit past 2 inches if that is necesary. It's not a trap gun but that's really not important.

Morgan

17. MyronE

MyronE TS Member

What benefit (if any) does polishing the forcing achieve?

18. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"What benefit (if any) does polishing the forcing achieve?"</I>

When a forcing cone is modified it's usually reamed and that leave machining marks (chatter marks) on the metal and a rough surface that actually performs worse rather than better. Polishing the cone removes the machining marks and puts the same finish on the cone as on the rest of the barrel. Read...<I>Proper Forcing Cone Polishing</I>

Morgan

19. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Makes it shine and look pretty. Maybe a polished forcng cone won't catch as much plastic. Less restriction for the ejecta to enter the bore? Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I believe that the longer the forcing cone the better...not for recoil though...it will (in my opinion) let the shot out smoother and less deformed.Then again, I've been in a shooting "slump" and am not sure about anything!LOL Had my first over/under done and I'm sold on the concept.Longer....more gradual cone=less deformatiom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.