1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forcing cone ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plott hound, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

Just bought an 1100 for my wife. She shoots 16s and probably wont be earning much if any yardage. Gun is a tight full choke. I was told to leghten forcing cone and get it opened up to mod. Good gunsmith at Washington State shoot today said he could do it there. What would work best for the little lady ???

Thanks Plott Hound

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Plott, leave it alone.

Neil

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Buy a second barrel with a more open choke. I suggest an improved modified. She may want to shoot the full choke down the road and you can't put choke back into the barrel. Bill Malcolm

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

For a few more $$'s than what you are proposing to spend on the gunsmith modifications to the 1100, buy a 1100 sporting barrel, this comes with a good forcing cone and choke tubes.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

PC post wads will open the pattern, if you can still get them. Check with Downrange, I believe they bought out PC.

HM

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Listen to Neil!!

7. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Cabellas has a 28 inch and a 30 inch vent rib barrel with Rem-chokes for $199.00 to $214.00.The barrels come with three choke tubes and a wrench. There have to be less expensive places to buy one too. Someone on this site may be able to help too. Why spend the money to modify when barrels are so easy to come by?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005760210864a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=shotgun+barrel&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=shotgun+barrel&noImage=0

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I guess if forcing cone lenghtening and choke work didn't help, people like Wilkenson would be out of work instead of being backloged a couple of months!

ec90t

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

If shell length was standardized, wouldn't the need for forcing cones be nearly eliminated by making the barrel the same diameter as the inside of hulls? If different hull IDs had to be considered, the difference in forcing cone diameter and bore size would be only a few thousandths - wouldn't it? Or, hull thickness could also be standardized.

If hull ID differs from the nominal 0.29" barrel ID, how much difference is there?

Rollin

10. Harold

Harold TS Member

An argumentum ad populum (Latin: "appeal to the people"), in logic, is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or all people believe it; it alleges that "If many believe so, it is so."

This type of argument is known by several names, including appeal to the masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to the people, argument by consensus, authority of the many, bandwagon fallacy, and tyranny of the majority, and in Latin by the names argumentum ad populum ("appeal to the people"), argumentum ad numerum ("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium ("agreement of the clans").

11. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

A word of caution this came from a remington tech It's OK to open up the forceing cones on a step rib trap barrel but not on a lite contoured trap barrel with out the step rib the barrel gets to thin in front of the chamber and my FAIL this came from remington and not me.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/rem870barrels.htmc Try this for barrels has a large selection for remingtons, CALL him web sight is not up to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.