1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forcing cone

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What do you think about having the forcing cone lengthened on a new bt99.Will it help with recoil and pattern . I would have moneymakers do the work.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is no physical way changing the angle of the forcing cones could reduce recoil. Reducing chamber pressure will not directly reduce recoil. It could be argued that, at least in theory, lengthening the forcing cones could increase velocity by reducing resistance to the shot movement. The increase in velocity would increase recoil but not significantly.

The only way to determine the effect on patterns is to carefully analyze 10 patterns before the work and 10 patterns after the work. I did not discover a significant improvement in patterns with lengthening my forcing cones but others have.

It will void the Browning warranty. I would not send a gun away just to have the cones lengthened, but I would sent a gun to Tom Wilkinson and have him tune the entire barrel.

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I lengthened the forcing cone on my BT-99. The patterns were better and the recoil felt better. HMB

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here was my result. It is similar to two others I did with looser controls/fewer targets. I'd like to see hmb's results, or those of others who have done it actually counting the pellets with a substantial number of patterns.

Neil

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Brownings come with short forcing cones, so I think lengthening them will help. I had the cones lengthened on my Browning Superposed, and the reduction in felt recoil was definitely noticeable. Patterns were very slightly more open after the lengthening.

Here is my recommendation. Shoot your new gun as it is for a while. If you have no problems with the recoil and the patterns are good, don't mess with a good thing. If the recoil does bother you, or you are unhappy with the patterns, do as Pat suggests and send it to Wilkinson, or Allor, or Eyster for a complete barrel redo. The larger bore that results does help recoil, and the patterns will be terrific.

If you decide to send it to a barrel smith, you need to do a little homework first. They all have different approaches, and you'll need to understand how that relates to what you want.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

And if you have a Superposed that you purchased new with a life time warranty, don't even think about playing with the cone. A guy that shoots at the same club that ZZT shoots at had his done many years ago. The forend iron cracked a few years ago (which happens too often with this model)and he sent it to Browning and they sent it back unrepaired. Will not even work on those barrels.

7. sasquach

sasquach Member

Save your money. Had mine done and could tell absolutly no difference. This is the most over rated modification you can make. The other bad thing about it is your 99 has a chrome plated bore and this will remove the plating. Brownings rust fast enough without giving it another place to start.

8. sasquach

sasquach Member

Mine looked like a mirror except where the forcing cone was reamed and when I asked the gunsmith about it he said it was chrome plated. It surly looked like it was.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If it's so easy to improve pattens by changing the forcing cone I have to wonder why Browning doesn't do it themselves. I would think their R&D and marketing teams would demand it.

10. sasquach

sasquach Member

You're right Daddy,I called Browning to verify and they said the bore is not chromed but the chamber is. Guess I got a little wrong information,but I still feel the same about lengthing forcing cones.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Brownings made for the American market typically have chromed chambers. IIRC, some made for the European market may have chrome bores, as well.

One thing to think about in your quest for better patterns is the ammo you use.

After all that bore and forcing cone work, using the cheapest promotional ammo available will not deliver the highest levels of performance you are seeking. Also, in inclement weather, you may get off sounding shells, if not outright bloopers.

Part of the reason the older Brownings, Berettas and others had tight bores and short forcing cones was so ammo producing "less than stellar performance" would produce near normal pressures and velocities.

Some ammo makers still produce paper shells. Many ammo makers produce bargain ammo, every component being made with low cost as the primary objective.

If you decide to lengthen the forcing cone and enlarge the bore, you will probably get better results if you load your own ammo, using components made for oversized bores. Higher pressures, and better sealing wads, along with a full charge of premium shot, will make all your work pay off.

If you are going to shoot Dianas, Nobel Sport, Federal Trap and Field, Remmy and Winnie Four Packs and such, you should probably leave the bore as is. Pattern your gun with several different chokes, and the ammo you are going to use. Browning did not put a substandard barrel on your gun!!!

If recoil is an issue, use one ouncers and/or put a reducer in the stock, along with a premium recoil pad.

12. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

The Browning 625 has same barrel as Browning 525, but lengthened forcing cones. Now should the warranty be void on the Browning 625? One important fact is the forcing cone needs to be polished, many so called gunsmiths will take a reamer and lengthen the cone, but do not polish the cone. By not polishing the cone causes friction, and plastic build up. 10Tenner

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

r44u77, my inability to find _any_ pattern improvement in four tests is no delusion either. They are also "real" results. Above is yet another.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.