1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forcing Cone Lengthening

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapmanjohn, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Has anyone noticed or percieved a negative effect of having forcing cone work done? Such as; not hitting the targets as hard, or change in the point of impact or just not hitting as many targets after the work was done to your barrel ? Did it really reduce the recoil etc ?

Thanks,

John

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Reduced recoil and better patterns. HMB

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have my box of popcorn and I am ready for the rhetoric to commence.

Bryan

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Awww, not this sh!t again.

6. ABH

ABH Member

I'm with Bryan.

ART H.

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard of "Search"?

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Another vote for not this sh*t Again ;o( Jerry

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I'm with Tim & Jerry.. ;o( But, seriously, why not just have a forcing cone job done on your gun...then you will know for sure. Opinions on here are free, of course but so? Regards, Ed

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you are looking to reduce recoil you should cut your original stock off, and add one of those spring loaded metal recoil thing-a-ma-jigs, then some porting, and then add the lengthened forcing cones. As long as it is there get the release tigger, for the flinch you developed. You may actually get half of that back when you sell. Almost forgot the adjustable comb, and pad. If the gun don't fit it is going to wack you. Do this all at once, so your gun is only gone for a month. Then when you still feel the recoil, and are missing targets, you can sell it for pennies on the dollar for what you have in it. Just a suggestion. Or you can spend the $2500 on a new custom fit stock. You will still loose money when you sell, but it will look awesomely nice, IMO. That would be where my money would go.

11. Duck

Duck Member

Tmj,

On most currently made guns it's seems to be unneeded. I gather from the larger backbored barrels offered from the manufacturers.

12. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

the longer the better, all the way to the muzzle

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Less recoil. Improved patterns. Bigger weiner. It's all true, and well worth your money.

-Gary

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Gary, how is the "felt" recoil reduced?

15. trw

trw Member

I'd be more concerned with what your remaining barrel wall thickness is after lengthening, it is reducing the available metal thickness, is it not? Get a competent person w/the correct instruments to measure it for you, before & after.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I bought a forcing cone reamer and some cutting oil and did the job myself. If you have a chrome lined barrel, leave it alone. HMB

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hmb, voice of experience?

(Bought the reamer then checked for chrome! *sigh*)

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used to have the cones honed out, never made much difference according to the patterns before and after ... I could never tell the difference in the recoil either, waste of money with the newer guns with big bore barrels ... I would guess that Neil Winston would have DATA if there is any to be had on this subject ... The mind is a wonderfull thing, convince your self its better and it will be even if its not ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Thanks WPT (YAC) yours was the kind of answer I was looking for; one of personal experience. I had the FC lengthened some time ago on two barrels. One was ported and had the FC the other just the FC lengthened. The barrel that just had the FC work done I could not tell any difference when compared to an unaltered barrel. I just want to know different shooter's experiences because I'm considering having the work done on another barrel.

The barrel in question is a factory .745 unaltered Rem.1100 step rib barrel that I shoot fairly well and I did not want to risk screwing it up lengthening the forcing cone unnecessarily.

I also have another barrel that is .729 that I may have opened up to .740-.745. The barrel inks targets as it is but I would like to backbore it to make it lighter in weight.

Thanks to everyone who has offered constructive input.

John

20. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Felt recoil is basically the same total recoil felt over a longer time period.
    Nay sayers say it is in the head, I say I had a superposed that I could not
    shoot over 50 rounds, after forcing cones can easily shoot 400. Maybe it
    does not help, but to me it is FELT. My daughter now shoots all day with
    out a problem. Why is the time element of recoil so hard to understand?
    It is not hard to understand in a mathematical equation.
    Gary Owen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.