1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forcing Cone lengthening, Yes or No

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barkingspider21, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

What advantages are derived from having the forcing cone in the barrel of your trap gun. Thanks Woody

2. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

May I suggest that you modify the question to "proven" advantages. More rigorous would be provable, verifiable, repeatable, and predictable. Let's be honest here, you don't want to work on mere hearsay, do you?

Andrew.

Crunch thanked this.
  3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It will reduce the number of fliers in your pattern. HMB

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Empirically, none, psychologically, some...

5. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

. . . psychologically, some... until somebody puts in your mind the seed of an idea that it doesn't . . . or worse, it does some harm . . . wad leakage . . . voided warranty . . . . lower resale . . . . barrel blows . . . .

Andrew "Harbinger of doom" Jones.

6. flipchop

flipchop Member

Why would you want to weaken the stongest part of the barrel

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Buy a barrel that was originally built with those forcing cones lengthened. They have the extra outside diameter to accommodate the wider bore. If you are looking for lighter recoil adjust your loads. If you think it will improve your pattern, and scores, it is not worth it. IMO. Shooting more often will improve your score more than messing with the bore and chokes, and is far less dangerous. I am not saying there are not aftermarket gunsmith's that are incapable of doing it right, or with less risk of barrel failer. I am saying that altering a barrel in any way from original, adds risk to possible failer. Jon

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

With all of the talk about barrel blow ups on this site, why would anyone take strength out of the barrel? I know that there has been a lot of research and development done for "the perfect pattern". How many people are in the winners circle because of tricky barrels, and how many are there that could have won shooting a stick of water pipe?

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

One thing it will do for sure, 100% certain of this.......Void any warranty you have. And forget about any law suits should anything catastrophic happen to that gun.

Just something to think about.

Wayne

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I've owned three guns that in my opinion had excessive felt recoil. In all thee cases the bores were on the tight side. At a suggestion I had the forcing cones lengthened which reduced felt recoil to a reasonable level.

I don't buy the wad leakage theory. Question why did Remington Arms produce a pump gun, model 31 in the 1930's with .739 - .741 bores. This was in a time when wadding was felt, horsehair and carded not a plastic piston. These guns are renowned for there consistent patterns. Remington has repeated these bore dimensions on current competition 1100 automatics and 870 pump. What did Remington know about barrel dynamics eighty years ago that are now being duplicated by barrel smiths and mainstream maunfacturers.........

Surfer

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Suggest you read the classic, but out of print book by Don Zutz: "Shotgunning, Trends in Transition."

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

All new guns have long forcing cones done by the Mfgr.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some of the dumbest stuff I've ever read. HMB

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If anyone has had a gun blow up from forcing cones changed to 1 & 1/2 degrees, or has gotten more recoil or worse patterns from it let them speak now or forever hold their peace. I have never heard of any such things.

Spouting drivel does not make it fact.

HM

15. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Is it true that the new Beretta steelium pro barrels are tapered their entire length so there is no such thing as a forcing cone? The new DT11 calls it "progressive conicity"

16. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Dan, I believe it's true. It's also true that this was done 100 odd years ago to sucker customers in. I think it was called Vena Contracta - John Brindle wrote about this sometime in the 80s and showed that the results from the gun were worse than standard for the day.

Think of it like the fashion industry. Things come and go and reappear, they look different, perform about the same, but somehow render the previous variant dated, which encourages those with spare money to spend it.

Andrew.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

It will definitely move some of those flier dollars from the outside fringe of your billfold to the inside of your gunsmith's bank account.

Will it get you a target that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten? No.

18. chipking

chipking TS Member

Dan I also believe that Browning did the tapered bore thing on their A-5 Slug guns for a while. It was touted as allowing the slug barrel to produce tighter Buckshot patterns than the then standard cylinder bore slug guns. Don't know if it worked or not.

--- Chip King ---

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I say again, do what ever the hell you want. It is your gun, and your money. Your responsiblility also. When you sell, make sure you tell the buyer all modifications! Jon

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Maybe do so reading about a very respected man in the shotgun modification world and his letter from Remington.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.