1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Forced retirement or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm close to 61 and have been teaching at the high school for the past 15 years. Like all school districts we're in the red. So on Veterans Day at our schools cermony our new superintendent walks up to me and says," I'd like to talk top you about retiring early. There would be an incentive; make an apppointment with my secretary" This 1 week after he meet with my department(applied arts) to tell ust that if our classes didn't fill (20 students) that they would not run. Our classes our mostly electives my endorsements are only in industrial arts and Consumer Economics. So I can't teach math, english, etc. So I took the early out option it was approved by the school board and I retire at the end of this school year. A few days ago I saw the superintendent he said" hey Bruce great news the board approved your early retirement" my response caught him off guard when I said " it's news" and walked away. He dosen't think that he forced the issue because during our conversation about the buy out he said,"you don't have to retire you have tenure and if your classes fill and your endorsements are in line you'll have a job" So your opinion was it forced or not? It's been about three weeks now and I'm ok with it just thought I'd stop teaching when I was ready my plans had me working another year or more.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it. Take the money & run. It appears you can't control the situation or do anything to insure your continued employment beyond the school year. You don't say how much the early retirement incentive is versus the extra year you wanted to work until you retired. Do the math but it still won't change anything.

Eric

3. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Bruce, the Supt may have forced it some, but it may be the best thing that ever happened to you. I too retired early, and enjoy every minute of it. The only drawback to early retirement is healthcare. I hope they took care of it for you. You may want to consider some part time work. I did that, working for Wildlife and Parks. That was fun, and made me my play money. With an Industrial Arts background, there should be plenty of part time jobs available.

I have a son that teaches in Asia. If you want some excitement and free travel, would be sosmething to consider. Age and specific endorsements don't matter, and the students are great to deal with.

Retirement is really a personal decision, and only you can decide if it is right time for you. Smile, have fun, and enjoy the new adventure.

4. Vertas

Vertas TS Member

Nothing for nothing did you ever think about "proof reading" whatever you wrote, what is here is an indication of why the students don't have any communicative skills, you should have retired and return your pension

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Well-Known Member

Vertas, were you never around when your mother was teaching manners? Your last post:

"I had obtained a long type power brake pedal from a junk yard, then welded it onto the MEC pedal, this gave me much more area of pedal to depress, and it works great while eated."

Tell us were seated when you eated? Mike.

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

Bulge, I was around when Mom taught manners...slapped the sh!!t out of me! Good thing, I was thinking what Vertas said but wouldn't think of saying it. Mike

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Eated is what you do when your hungry while your deated, or is it seated?

8. Vertas

Vertas TS Member

Please forgive me if I am not as PC as you my like, you have to understand, my mother gave me life, and my father gave me a name, I don't and will not answer to anybody. Its pretty shabby when a guy like "Barrelbulge" has to refer to a previous post and can't reconize a typo, then he would not be able to find a moustache in Mexico.
    The issue is "A Educator" that cannot or will not communicate, is part of the problem not part of the solution.
    By the way they pitched me out of high school, because I had all of the answers. The dumbing of America is not resevered to our elected officails

9. Hank55

Hank55 Member

Bruce, get out while you have a pension and are young enough to enjoy it! I retired exactly one year ago at age 55 because my company was forcing supervision to either take a buy out or retire by Dec. 31st of 2010. I wanted my pension and so far haven't regreted my decision. I work 2 days a week on a "non-pressure" job at hours that are convenient for me so I have some shooting money on the side and it's great. Good Luck.

10. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Bruce,

Take the retirement and do not look back. I had a somewhat similar situation 3 years ago, took the buyout, and have not had one second of regret. You will be fine. This situation is just the way things are today.

Chris

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You never did say if your classes are full. He gave you a choice that you could have taken or declined. In my opinion it was your choice and not forced.

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Yes, you were forced out. However, it was most likely due to the declining market for what you were certified to teach rather than your age or ability. Reading between the lines (always a tad dangerous) you seem to be saying there was some doubt as to you even having enough interested students to fill classes for the text year. If you had not retired and just such a situation had occurred, what would have happened then? At any rate, now you are free to do something else either part of full time. Maybe even sub it the district for some extra money.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I won't know if classes are full until after the offer is gone. Registration won't be complete for another month then the offer is gone. If they want to get rid of me they just close the classes before the class is filled.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Heck, if you want to keep working, sign up and sub for the same district.

Play golf or shoot on the days that no one calls you to sub.

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

"we are in the red". For a fact, your school is going to have to make cuts. Where do you expect them to make them?? You did not describe the package you were offered. I suspect you are getting out just fine.

Now you should think about "how did we get here and why did they ask me to think about retirement?? In all these matters one has to face facts before declaring "I got screwed". By your admission, you have not upgraded or expanded your skill set. That is not the fault of the school district. I bet they would have paid for your extra education but you decided that you wanted to take the summers and evenings off rather than go back to school. Now it is too late but it has to be someone elses fault.

16. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Take the retirement and discover the joys of retirement. I retired after 31 years of teaching at age 54 and haven't looked back. I'm in my 14th year of retirement and have loved every minute of it. I am so glad they made me put almost 10% of my wage into a retirement fund. My pension is quite adequate and it goes up by the cost of living each year.

At 61, your days are numbered. Take a look at your colleagues. How many of them aren't here any more?

Do things now. Shoot, volunteer at the gun club, instruct juniors, take that trip you always wanted to take.

retirement is the best job I ever had. If I go tomorrow, life has been grand.

17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Dude, you just won the lottery. Enjoy it.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yes you should have applied for the English teachers position.

Why don't you just take it and be quiet. There are 1,000's people who would love to be in your position. There are 1,000's who have lost their pensions in the recent recession debacle. There are 1,000's who have lost their retirement funds. Yet you come on and whine about your deal. If you have the typical teacher contract your retirement and health ins. is secure for the rest of your life, after all you are on the Gov't. payroll.

I don't begrudge you for what you have just coming on here and whining about it.

Don

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Go and be happy. Big Don has it exactly right. I was "forced" out of my mail carrier position in June of this year by a pr##k of a boss He did me a GREAT favor. No more picky b.s. and I'm now on my own program and entering into a fun new business. Life is good. Bill Wheeler

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Did you have a decent compensation package to make up for early retirement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.