1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For you Pilots out there

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Coyote 270, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

This is a better aircraft video than most any I've seen before, as the first Lufthansa A380 lands at SFO. Whoever handled the photography did an excellent job and it pulled me right in!

It may be a guy thing, but I watched the whole video and was truly fascinated. The bilingual crew are very adept (as you would expect) but subtitles help keep things clear to the viewer.
    The pilots sit away from everything, no yoke, etc. While the captain pulls up a
    keyboard occasionally to enter info but the plane does most of the work as it is extensively automated; the air traffic controller gives them heading, altitude, and speed, and they just dial it in.
    They get a nice and unusual welcome as they taxi to their gate … kind of fun to see.
    For best results go "full screen" on your monitor. It will seem like you are
    in the cockpit.

http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Nice when everything works. The down side is they loose their practice in actually flying the airplane. IMHO Ron

3. fly

fly Active Member

Mistakes do happen you know! In regards to the video, it is a good one.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Great video....Co-Pilot was very sharp and "advised" the Captain on several items, the most important being the correct runway to land on..

5. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Coyote:
    May I correct you on a few issues that you brought up. First, the pilots do not "sit away from everything". All Airbus aircraft have a joystick located to the side of the pilots, not in front as with the yoke. They control the aircraft the same way as a yoke, but with the joystick instead. Second, the aircraft is indeed highly automated and this is used extensively in all commercial aircraft these days, especially in IFR conditions(weather). You will notice that the Captain announces "autopilot off" at the beginning of the approach. That means that he is flying the jet, not the airplane. Those who rely on the aircraft to fly the airplane through the whole approach all the time, put themselves in an uncomfortable position when they actually have to land the plane manually. Can anyone say "Asiana"? I heard that from a pretty reliable source whom I will not name, since the official NTSB documents have yet to be released. Thirdly, the keyboard you mentioned is actually the pilots' Jeppesen Manuals that show the approach info such as the RWY ILS frequencies, minimums,etc. It is not anything that controls the A/C. It is essentially all the Maps for Navigation, nothing else. Hope that clears up a few of the misconceptions common to non aviator types.
    It is a good representation of a typical approach to land at a major Airport here in the U.S. Personally, I have seen way too many of these in my 28 yrs. of piloting Heavy Equipment like this. Wish I could retire, but since I had my retirement stolen by my company, guess I will just keep flying until I slump over at the controls.

6. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Sorry Pumpernck if the post led you to believe that I was intelligent enough to post this but, alas, I just forwarded it as I thought it was very interesting.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Autopilot was turned off at 3000 feet. They controlled the aircraft with the joysticks on their sides, along with the many auto controls. Just like playing a big video game, but only live, and mistakes are a matter of life and death.

Mistakes do obviously happen, as with the crash recently at SFO, where the pilot and crew may have inadvertently shut off, or altered some of the auto controls, while making adjustments, and did not recognize quick enough that the plane was losing altitude to quickly, and traveling to slow. They tried to abort at 200 feet. That does not work with a Boeing 777, or an Airbus A380 for that matter.

Update: I started this post before pumpernck posted, as I got sidetracked midterm. Sounds repetitive, I know.

8. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Why was the water sprayed on the plane? Was it really a wash job or for some other reason, such as removing static etc.? Anyway, the vid was very interesting.

9. oz

oz Active Member

the flying video I liked best is where the Israeli pilots collided in air. One lost a wing and he landed the plane.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Straight50,

The water sprayed was the welcoming celebration of the 1st A 380 to land at SFO.

Eric

11. mark936

mark936 Member

Yes-- I've seen water sprayed for high time ATP pilots making their final landing.

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It was common when pilots returned from their 100th mission in 'Nam. Ron

13. carpetman

carpetman Member

very cool !!