1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For you model 12 lovers

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by esoxhunter, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

0   0   0

John: My book says it was manufactured in 1978. As you will see on the photos it is a "Y" model which means it was a post 1964 gun. Nothing wrong with them. They are a nice gun. Some shooters prefer the pre-64 but if I were to purchase a Model 12 to shoot, I wouldn't care if it were pre-64 or post 64 . My opinion. Ed

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

He has two, consec #'s and same buyer bidding

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

The 2nd one, the one that did not have the link posted, says on the box "regular stock" and the gun pictured is a MC stock. It's also apparent that the serial #'s have been taped onto the boxes. Just pointing those things out for what its worth.

4. over the hill

over the hill Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Years ago at the grand Guns Unlimited had a Y model new in the box for around a 1000. if I recall.

Problem was, it wouldnt go together. Ill bet a dozen shooters tried to assemble it to no avail. A little on the rough side workmanship also. It was being sold as is.

Regards....Gerald

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

0   0   0

According to my book, the last sn for a mod 12 was Y-2027250. I would not buy a mod 12 with a sn anywhere near that and shoot it without first having a very competent gunsmith examine it. I know a couple of people who bought them near the end ( one was a "Pigeon Grade" ) and the guns are now non-shooters beyond repair. I have a Y that I bought new in 1973 and have fired well over 100k rounds through it. Stu Wright sleeved the chamber about 20 years ago and that is all it ever needed in the line of repairs. Larry Evans

6. esoxhunter

0   0   0

I would like to add to my above reply; that I have owned several "Y" Model 12's and a number of pre-64's. I have sold the "Y" models and have kept several pre-64 trap guns. Bottom line, I personally prefer the pre-64's; but again if a "Y" model is available at a decent price, I'd probably think seriously about purchasing one. Ed

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I do not know about the last Y models but the ones I have owned were just as good as the pre 64 guns to shoot. I do know all the Y guns were built in the custom shop and had much nicer wood than the older model 12's came with. The fit and finish on the ones I had was excellent I would think Stu Wright would be the best person to ask about Y guns he is the man on Model 12's. As with most things how something stands up to the test of time and volume or rounds fired is the true test and there are Y guns with more shells shot threw them than I shot in 40 years.

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I do not know about the last Y models but the ones I have owned were just as good as the pre 64 guns to shoot. I do know all the Y guns were built in the custom shop and had much nicer wood than the older model 12's came with. The fit and finish on the ones I had was excellent I would think Stu Wright would be the best person to ask about Y guns he is the man on Model 12's. As with most things how something stands up to the test of time and volume or rounds fired is the true test and there are Y guns with more shells shot threw them than I shot in 40 years.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

ATAJOHN, the finish did look a little rough. Almost like the finish was repaired in the one spot. A lot of little thin line scratches. BUlGE.

10. esoxhunter

0   0   0

John: I had Spears do my Model 12 release and am very satisfied. Also, I'm sure Phil Crenwelge would do a great job also. Ed

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

0   0   0

ATAJohn, From what several people told me many years ago, the very last Ys were just thrown together. As I wrote earlier, I have an early Y with a lot of miles on it. Larry

12. esoxhunter

0   0   0

John: I haven't seen what you are referring to on the 870 or the 1100. On my Model 12's, my Super X-1 and my Model 50; they all have to have the actions opened to disengage the trigger when it has been set. Spears did my releases on the Model 12's, I bought an old Timney trigger for the Super X-1 and I had Phil Crenwelge convert my Model 50. All work the same. You need to manually open the action to reset the trigger. Ed

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The finish on the stock doesn't match the forearm. What has been described as 'scratches' is the grain of the american walnut. It looks refinished without using any filler before the top coat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.