1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???? For You Glock Shooters?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rjstubbl, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

The key to shooting a glock is how you run the trigger. Take the slack out of the trigger until you feel that it is about to fire. When it fires, hold the trigger in the fired position, and release it slowly until you feel it reset. Then, break the next shot.

Practice running the trigger like this slowly and after a few hundred rounds you will be used to it.

When I qualified to be an NRA pistol instructor, I had to shoot 20 shots in a 6" group at 15 yards. I used my Glock 34.

If you cannot get used to the trigger, lone wolf makes parts that will shorten the pull and the reset. With one of their competition spring kits, the ultimate trigger stop and some polishing, the trigger can be about 2.5-3 lbs.

Where are you located?

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

The trigger pull on a Glock can be modified/lightened with a trigger kit from Lone Wolf Distributors. I would only use this if you are using the gun exclusively for target shooting. I would NOT modify the trigger if you intend to carry the pistol.

If you choose to keep the factory trigger settings, my advice is to keep putting rounds down range.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
    (G26, G19, G17 and G21)

3. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

With my Glock 23 I find it best to use my middle finger to pull the trigger. My index finger rest along the side of the gun but below the slide.

I don't shoot any other pistol this way but it works with my Glock.

Charlie

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My Glock mod.22, .40 cal S&W has the worst pull trigger of any handgun I've ever tried to shoot! I haven't tested it with a pull ga. but it's horrible to pull! I could shoot it much better and accurately if the pull weight was reduced. It takes a gorrilla grip to go through a few mags of ammo with mine!

Any trigger smiths in AZ work on these?

Hap

5. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

Hap,

The glock triggers can be improved very easily. You can also find many videos about installation on youtube.

I would not make any changes to a carry gun, but I would install the following parts on a competition gun:

"Pro Trigger Kit" http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156085&CAT=163

Google 25 cent trigger job. It gives polishing points and it will smooth out the trigger pull.

With these changes, the trigger should be around 2.5-3 lbs. With the ultimate stop set in the right position, the take-up and reset will be a lot less.

Also, complete drop in triggers are available from glockworx, charlie vanek, and some others.

A good set of sights would also help a lot. I run warren sights on all of my glocks and they are great.
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4186

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks rjstubbl, I just finished watching a youtube video on this fix. I know my trigger pull has to be around 9 to 10 pound pull!! I couldn't hit much of anything aimed at with such a pull in the heat of the moment situation as is either!! Hardest to pull trigger I've ever tried shooting with!

Thanks for the heads up guy!

Hap

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I put the LoneWolf kit in my Glock 17 and the trigger is now very reasonable. This is a simple DIY project and almost a must if you want to get decent accuracy. It still is a fairly long pull compared to a 1911 but that can work to your advatage with practice. I don't shoot much paper with my Glock but at 50 feet or so it is no problem to keep a pop can bouncing. (minute of a pop can?)

Now to answer the question of how many rounds does it take to get the hand of the gun - try running case lot through it then report back. (not kidding)

8. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

Hap,

If it is that high, I bet it has what they call a new york trigger. The is easily fixed with a couple cheap parts. Let me know how it turns out.

9. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Glocks are so modular and easily upgraded, a trained chimp could make the trigger better.

In my 19, I replaced the factory 5.5 connector with a Ghost 3.5# connector which is actually closer to 4.5#. I installed it with a competition weight spring. I replaced the factory serrated trigger with a smooth OEM trigger that I spent about 20 minutes polishing.

The results are great. Not too light for social purposes and plenty easy to manipulate and shoot fast and well. I often use this gun to shoot the 24" x 24" steel gongs my club has at the 200 yard line.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Shooting any handgun, but especially double action with a revolver and a
    auto with a two stage trigger, or a lot of take up like the Glock requires you to keep your trigger finger totally isolated from the rest of your hand.
    rsstubbl in the post above has given a good explanation of trigger control.
    You try to get the trigger close to the break point before the gun actually fires. When it fires the force you were applying to the trigger suddenly drops to zero, and if your grip on the gun isn't independent of the trigger pull, the backlash will throw the shot off.

I can shoot my Glock 23 very accurately in slow fire - but I have had years of
    practice to where the grip, trigger control, maintaining the sight picture, and keeping the gun centered in the black are second nature.

It's not something you can just learn and do. It takes a lot of practice, and it's probably not worth it just to shoot targets with a Glock. If you want to
    shoot targets accurately get a target gun.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do they make these upgrades for all models and generations of Glocks? I have over a 1000 rounds thru my G22 .40 S&W now and I'm just ok with it. I am sure with some trigger improvement I could do much better. Can anyone post a link to the best place to buy these upgrades?

12. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Dry fire it till you get use to the trigger....... I had a old time Glock shooter tell me this when I frist got my Glock 23C 40cal.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

My son has put Ghost triggers in 5 or 6 Glocks. Got them at Brownells. It's a slide out /slide in installation with good isnstructions.

Big difference.

14. oz

oz Active Member

don't forget the NYPD and many other PD's use glocks. get used to it.

15. grntitan

oz,

What does the fact that the NYPD and other police departments use Glocks have to do with this thread?

16. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

grntitan New York uses 8# triggers on thier Glocks. Standard is 5#.

17. grntitan

Oh, I see.

18. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

The Glock that I purchased was so horrible to shoot that I never even bothered to pick it up from the FFL. Shot it once at the range and off to GunBroker it went. I know others will greatly disagree, but for target/fun shooting the gun was huge piece of sh-t. Maybe for cops, etc it's great, but it was just horrible. If you care at all about good trigger pull, move to a 1911. Doesn't have to be super expensive, the newer "basic" models are all better than the Glock and with just a little gunsmithing can have fantastic triggers and are much more fun to shoot.

19. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I would disagree on 9mm being less recoil. I find 9mm very loud and not very pleasant to shoot. Light 45acp target ammo is very light recoil and lower pressure so not nearly as loud or unpleasant. But unless you are dead set on a semi, a .38 S&W is hard to beat for good trigger, light recoil and general shooting enjoyment.

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The Beretta 92 is a very soft shooting, smooth recoiling pistol that is easy to shoot well. It has an external hammer and is available in Several versions. I have been shooting them for about 20 years, and carry the .40 S&W version (model 96) now. I keep meeting people who never owned one that tell me what a terrible pistol they are and that the model 96 frames break all the time. My model 96 was a Police purchase in 1998, and was traded in 2000. I have since shot 2-3 thousand rounds per year judging by my .40 bullet purchases. Every other year or so I change the recoil spring as preventitive maintenance. I only pay about $4.00 for a spring, I figure that is cheap insurance. My 9mm (92) still keep chugging away also. My wife has weak hands and she can shoot the 9mm just fine.

I have owned several glocks. The drop in trigger links work good. They shoot fine. I do not carry them. My carry guns are always loaded with one in the chamber and are either cocked and locked, (1911 style) or are SA/DA pistols. A Glock with one in the chamber is ready to fire without any secondary means to prevent discharge. Unless you are carrying in a duty holster that covers the trigger, I do not think they are safe. I am not willing to trust a bullet hole in my body to that little tit on the trigger. Other than the DEA agent on You Tube that shot his foot and the LEO in Howard county that shot a hole in his butt, there is a peace officer in trouble in Indiana who tossed a duffle bag with a Glock in it into the truck. It discharged, killing his wife. A good holster is mandatory for the safe carry of a glock type weapon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.