1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? FOR WASHINGTON STATE SHOOTERS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by STS / NITRO 27, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STS / NITRO 27

STS / NITRO 27 TS Member

My fiance is getting ready to fly out next week for a job interview in Olympia,WA. I am not familiar with the weather year round there and do not know much about the economy. I am currently a Manufacturing Engineer/CNC Programmer at a big company in Indiana where we currently reside.Is there anyone who might know if i will have any luck finding a job in my field in washington?I do not want to move anywhere unless there is good hunting and alot of places to shoot TRAP,SKEET,AND SPORTING CLAYS. How are the gunlaws in this state? I have a German Shorthair Bird dog..... Is there any birds up that way that i would be able to hunt?

Thanks

STS / NITRO 27

2. d endicott

d endicott Member

The better hunting will be on the ease side of the state.

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

There is lots of hunting but as Endicott stated most is on the east side of the Cascades. I live in North Central Washington and there are lots of small gun clubs, 5 within 20 minutes of my home. Chelan county is over 70 percent National Forrest and BLM. There are all kinds of fishing, hunting, skiing, snowmobiling, atv areas. I believe you could get a job in the Olympia area as the West side is highly populated with a lot of business's. The west side has a lot of rain while east of the Cascades we get snow but not much rain. The gun laws are not as restrictive as most states.

4. STS / NITRO 27

STS / NITRO 27 TS Member

My fiance is getting ready to fly out next week for a job interview in Olympia,WA. I am not familiar with the weather year round there and do not know much about the economy. I am currently a Manufacturing Engineer/CNC Programmer at a big company in Indiana where we currently reside.Is there anyone who might know if i will have any luck finding a job in my field in washington?I do not want to move anywhere unless there is good hunting and alot of places to shoot TRAP,SKEET,AND SPORTING CLAYS. How are the gunlaws in this state? I have a German Shorthair Bird dog..... Is there any birds up that way that i would be able to hunt?

Thanks

STS / NITRO 27

5. d endicott

d endicott Member

The better hunting will be on the ease side of the state.

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

There is lots of hunting but as Endicott stated most is on the east side of the Cascades. I live in North Central Washington and there are lots of small gun clubs, 5 within 20 minutes of my home. Chelan county is over 70 percent National Forrest and BLM. There are all kinds of fishing, hunting, skiing, snowmobiling, atv areas. I believe you could get a job in the Olympia area as the West side is highly populated with a lot of business's. The west side has a lot of rain while east of the Cascades we get snow but not much rain. The gun laws are not as restrictive as most states.

7. dale t

dale t TS Member

Evergreen gin club will be in your back yard,a great place to shoot.

Not much hunting on the west side of the mt. but there are some pheasant relase sites colse to Olympia.

Bring your rain coat and be preapered for some beautiful country.

dale t

8. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Evergreen Sportsmans Club may be a great place to shoot, I have not had the opportunity to shoot there. Evergreen though is where the big PITA meet is, from what I understand. I live in the Everett area, there are places to go to shoot, one of my favorites is Granite Falls Sportsmans club, and I am a member of the Wildlife Committee of Washington where we shoot at Kenmore Ranges, but this is too far away from Olympia.

Traffic is a huge issue out here.

There should be good places to hunt anywhere in the state, though the Western side of the Cascades is far different than the Eastern side. The Eastern side is mainly wide-open spaces where the Western side is full of vegetation do the the much higher rainfall, especially on the Olympic Peninsula.

If you are into sailing, there is much water here for that.

I moved out here from Detroit in 1980, the weather here is much different. Be prepared for lots of rain through the winter and also be prepared for much milder temperatures. The coldest (west of the Cascades which is what all these comments reflect) it usually gets is 20 degrees. There is severe denial regarding snow and ice because it only lasts a couple of weeks if at all. Last year was an exception, we had 4 snow periods. An inch of snow will close the schools.

The winters can become quite gloomy, going 30days of rain at times (not every winter) and the summers can be quite wonderful with very long days (you can read the newspaper in ambient light at 9:30 at night) and very little rain. The mountains are fabulous, the skiing season usually starts around Thanksgiving.

I suggest you take a week off and fly out to see for yourself. When I want to get back to Detroit to visit family, Northwest Airlines has a non-stop so there is a minimum of hassle.

The Economy here has been quite stable. With Boeing, Microsoft and Paccar being principal employers. We have been lucky these past few years as these industries have done well, but it was not always this way. It is hard to see Detroit going through all its troubles over the past several years, keep a job out here has been much easier. If you want to work, there is usually something to be found.

As for the politics, the Western side is much more liberal than the Eastern side which really polarizes the state at times. The last gubernatorial election was a huge mess and in my opinion the changes made will only further mask the problems and the fraud. For the record, I politically identify more with the conservatives and have high disregard for political correctness.

Hope this thumbnail sketch helps,

Mike

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Evergreen Sportsmen's site above. About 12 miles from Olympia and all the target shooting you could want.

Employment is covered in this recent Seattle P.I. article.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/331797_revenue15.html

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

A better choice for both hunting and shooting would be the Spokane Washington area. Lots of business there. Ben

11. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

As I wrote the above comments, it is a beautiful sunny day here. One thing about the winters, when the winter does give you a break you REALLY appreciate it.

Mike

12. STS / NITRO 27

STS / NITRO 27 TS Member

Thank you to all that gave me valuable info on Washington!!!
    I hate lots of rain and will really have to consider moving there if my fiance gets the offer.Is it possible to live in the eastern part of the state like you guys talked about and commute to Olympia? How far is Spokane from Olympia?

13. oletymer

oletymer Member

Too far to commute. In additon to several hundred miles you have to cross the Cascades which in the winter can be a pain in the rear. If you want to move here and don't like a lot of rain try Sequim. It would not be too bad depending on where your jobs actually are. That area gets less rain than the other areas around it.

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004135137_taltonbizcol20.html

Check this out for a view from the downside.

15. BlackBelt

BlackBelt TS Member

Like most of the posts here, I'll agree that most are right on. Personally, I found heaven when I moved here from the Southwest. There are tons of clays clubs within easy driving distance from Olympia.

A few years ago, Olympia was voted as one of the top 10 cities to live in. It's a really clean town. The only drawback is the traffic congestion in Seattle and Tacoma. Contrary to public opinon about all the rain here - our rainy season runs from Oct 1st thru Sep 30.

Washington State is also know as the "Swiss Alps of America". There is outstanding quail hunting in Eastern Washington - maybe 90 minutes from Olympia. Spokan though, is a long drive - like 6 or 7 hours.

Be sure to hook up with the Pacific International Trapshooting Association (PITA) and shoot some of their tourneys. It's a great organization and they cross-register with all ATA shoots. Come on out - you'll love WA.

Terry Diener
    Director
    Pacific International Trapshooting Association

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you "--hate lots of rain", don't move to western Washington, lol

John C. Saubak

17. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I moved to the 'West Side' from Spokane/Coeur d'Alene. Traffic is bad in the Seattle metro area. Spokane is 300 miles away. The 'East side' is about a 2-3 hour drive over a pretty gnarly pass. You're within 4 hours of any kind of hunting that you could want. Deer, elk, birds, ect. If you choose Sequim, you're close to Sunnydale. A great shooting club. This is a great area to live in. I'm from Colorado originally and, I'd never move back.

Shawn
    San Juan Islands

18. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

mutiple pheasant release sites throughout western washington. Muleys on the eastside, blacktail on the westside. Good duck hunting on either side if you know where to go. mutiple clubs + pita shoots on the westside and mutiple clubs and ATA shoots on the eastside. As far as im concerned they're is a close family of PITA shooters on the westside and a fantastic group of ATA shooters on the eastside. however if your wife lives in olympia, you have no real choice but to live somewhere on the westside. Wenatchee is would be like a 2.5 hour drive with no traffic to my house in olympia. Although rain is a mainstay, our winters are not terrible with daytime temps usually low 40's

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sometimes people pack up and move because thats where there career takes them. My wife is from the Olympia/Lacey area and still has several family members there. We visit several times each year and it is always raining and grey, I Haven't seen the sunshine there in the 12 years of visiting. Everything is moss covered and smells to be in a state of decomposition. The population density is also quite high which will work in your favor for gaining employment but limits shooting/hunting oportunities. Personally, I like the high desert climate on northern Nevada the best and the NW is too dreary for me but lots of other people have the opposite view.

If possible, go with your wife and check out the area together. - Good luck.

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that BLACKBELT moved there from Oklahoma.....ANYWHERE would have looked good to him.....LOL!! ...Hi, Terry!!!!

Ken Rucker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.