1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For The Model 12 Trap Guru's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnR, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

For The Model 12 Trap Guru

Added to my meager Model 12 Trap collection today, stumbled across this straight stocked gun that appears to be all original from 1961 according to Old Guns. 30" ,full choke, pretty decent shape, no dents bulges in barrel, blueing has some wear but not excessive for the age,no pits or deep scratch's.

What really drew me to the gun is a stunning straight grip stock, really nice figure,checkering still sharp, no cracks,splits or deep gouges. The straight stock feels great in the hands.

Looks like I'm going to need a good book if I keep picking up these guns, any recommendations? Any way to tell if the wood is original to the gun? The wear to wood and metal is consistent with it's age.

Appreciate feedback good and bad, hope I didn't get hosed to bad.

JohnR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Looks to be a Win. spec. rib from what I can see.

Mine is 1,795XXX. I've seen quite a few that fit this ser. # range. Trap & Skeet.

Whats yours?

Congrats for a nice find.

Regards....Gerald

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm not a big Model 12 fan, and I don't normally like straight-grip shotguns, but yours is pretty stinkin' COOL.

-Gary

4. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

Nice M12.

I have a factory, english stock M12 with a solid rib. The stock has no checkering and the forearm is the round one with groves. I think that your wood must have been special order. That rib is definately not what I was taught to be a "Winchester special". The rib appears to me to be the standard vent rib. I bought this english stock M12 about 20 years ago. It had been cut off(about 1&3/4"),for what ever reason. I sent it to Briely and had screw in chokes installed. I would rather that it had not been cut off,but it is what it is. No matter what, you have a fine shotgun made in America. You can be proud of it. If you can only keep one scatter gun,keep this one. It won't let you down when the hits the fan.

Respectfully,

Patrick Swartz

5. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Sweet. I'm looking for an M12 with a poly choke. Going to to be a "project" gun.

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

I've got a beat 12 with a dial-a-duck installed. What were you thinking of spending?

7. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Gerald, the serial # is 18255xx,fairly close to yours. I admit I don't know a lot on the various ribs Winchester used, this one seems to float on the posts.

Gary,Thanks, thought the gun looked pretty cool also,figured the wood alone was nice enough to be worth something.

Patrick I agree,since it's a standard gun I suspect it had to be special ordered,if not I bet whoever first opened that box 50 years ago got a pleasant surprise.

Can't wait to get it out and shoot it, maybe the practice Trap at Thurmont today.

JohnR

8. Urbans

Urbans Member

This looks to have a donut post style rib, nice looking gun. Enjoy!!

9. danderson012

danderson012 TS Member

Have to like straight stock Model 12's! Here's a couple of interest, a restored 1941 Trap grade with engraving and a rare etched Black Diamond made in 1921. The pattern on the Black Diamond is a variation of the pattern on the gun on page 36 of George Madis' book. Enjoy!
    danderson012_2008_21044.jpg

danderson012_2008_21043.jpg

danderson012_2008_21042.jpg

danderson012_2008_21041.jpg

danderson012_2008_2104.jpg

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Very nice gun! That wood really does stand out. I'm no M12 expert, but that is the first one that I've seen with an initial plate in the stock like a Beretta EELL has.

I like these posts as it gives me a chance to learn something new.

ss

11. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Well, got it out on the practice trap at the shoot today, shot a 24 first time, really like how the gun handles. The straight stock is different, I could get used to it, felt comfortable.

Short shucker, I agree with you about threads like this, I have learned a lot from other members posting on their collectable guns, in fact I think my interest in Model 12 Trap guns started here.

Thanks guy's, John R

12. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Nice gun, John. Sorta makes me wish you didn't like it and wanted to just recover maybe about half your (wasted) money...

Just kidding. Very nice Model 12 and you should be proud.

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Factory donut post rib has the proof stamp off set on the left. Built up guns had the proof on the top and the rib covered them up. There is always the chance that the proof was added after the rib was installed but I doubt it on this gun looks original and a very nice M12 enjoy shooting it you did well.
    Buddy

14. fishguts

fishguts Member

Look at the last picture, that is a round post rib, doesn't look like a donut post rib. Now see the tiny little pin that holds the rib on the last post, right in front of the receiver, these have a tendancy to break from the stress of recoil. The old timers who shot round posts would open up the gap between the barrel rib and receiver rib with a file to prevent breaking the little pin. I'm not suggesting you do this, but I have broke the little pin, my buddy just re-broke a replacement pin about a month ago and another shooter broke two of these pins also.

The stock is very nice. If this was a special order gun the "lines per inch" of the checkering on the forearm and stock should be the same. Looking at the stock checkering, it seems finer, the forearm looks original.

Wayne

15. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Wayne, good pick up on the checkering, I double checked and it does appear to be finer with sharper better done borders than the fore end. Looks like the stock is not original, it does appear to have been on there a long time as wear is consistent with rest of gun.

JohnR

16. fishguts

fishguts Member

JohnR, still a fine example of a M12, I wouldn't mind shooting a few thousand rounds thru it...LOL.

Wayne

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Yup, the rib is not a donut post, it is a factory original "Round Post". Nice aftermarket stock anyone could love.

18. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

JohnR, just some symantics, but your stock would not be refered to as a straight trap. It is a Monte Carlo with an English grip. Danderson012's examples are straight trap with English grips.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.