1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

For the love of the sport!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    For the second time in my 42 years of trapshooting I have seen fellow shooters stop what they were doing in order to help a new trapshooter. The first time that I saw this act of kindness happen was around 25 years ago at the Waukesha gun club.

It happened right after the State shoot as it was close to 100 degrees, no wind, and humidity in the 90's. An elderly man walked out in front of the club as we were all sitting outside just talking. This man asked for all to hear if anyone had the time to help him, as this was his first time trapshooting?

A couple guys told him it was much to hot to shoot, come back another time when it was cooler, and he'd have plenty of volunteers to help him.

A few minutes later this man's wife asked if there was anyone that could help her granddaughter to shoot as this was also her first time out shooting too? The same guys said the same thing to her. Come back when it's cooler out, as it is much to hot to shoot.

Suddenly, this woman's elderly husband and the granddaughter came in front of the club to get the wife to leave. I don't know if the temperature drastically dropped 30 degrees, or what really happened, but suddenly there were 6 to 8 volunteers offering to help these new shooters out.

I saw chairs moving out from underneath tables at a fast pace like in a paranormal movie flick. Shooters offering this young gal to use their shooting vest, shell pouches, P and K guns, offers of free ammo, as well as toe pads. There had to be 3 to 4 guys instructing directly behind her.

I did not understand what possibly changed in just a few minutes??? This young gal was of college age, around 5'10" tall, long blond hair, long legs with a tan that you would mostly see on a Hollywood actress. I asked myself, was it the way she looked, or was it for the love of the sport that my friends decided to help out this fine young gal and her grandfather?

Twenty five years later, I saw something similar happen at another gun club the other day. The offer to help a struggling new female shooter. This act of kindness made me proud to be a trapshooter. Well done fellow shooters.
    Steve Balistreri
    P.S. My wife read this thread and said " my fellow trapshooters must be humanitarians"???
  2. ExFedex

ExFedex Member

Saw something like that take place at the old Seattle Skeet and Trap Club years ago. Harley pulled up behind the practice trap one warm summer day confirming the skeet shooters opinions about trap. Don't remember anything about the driver but his lady friend I will never forget. She was a RH shooter,well endowed, bra-less, wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, asking for "help"!! Most common bit of advice was to"keep your elbow raised". Shooters who had never set foot on the trap ranges at that great old club joined in the brotherhood. She was something!
  3. senior smoke

ExFedex:
    You all should be commended for helping out a new shooter.
    Good job,
    Steve
  4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Ever notice that it is always the same old guys who "help" the young gals? We have a couple of them at our club.
  5. senior smoke

birdog:
    Now that I think of it, very true.
    Steve
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.