1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For the Good of the Service

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Klondike Klem, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klondike Klem

Klondike Klem TS Member

OOPS! Old age made be do it!

Intended this be the start of a new thread, and originally and erroneously got it on the thread "Why do people quite shooting ATA"--or at least close to that name. So here it is again, altho it is related to thread as well.

For Neil and those who want to rush through a Trapshoot:

Perhaps "For the Good of the Service" you all might like to promote a new rule along the lines "If you can't shoot 300 targets without a break, your membership is terminated".

I too don't understand the rush, and be advised Father Time will sooner or later adjust your capability to shoot without a short break.

I too was at the MTA shoot and because they were calling the squads for the next event before the preceding one was complete, several of us skipped events on subsequent days because as we learned on the previous days, there was not time to get a drink, a bite to eat---just rush to get more shells and back to the line.

That lost revenue was not significant, but the lack of consideration was.

So everyone, whadda ya think---should us old guys with ageing and health problems but still able to shoot, be drummed out of the ATA

Good Shooting and Good Scores y'all. Klem

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I dunno. Does Neil say if that's worse than posting copyrighted material?

3. CharlieK

CharlieK TS Member

Well Klem--You certainly would take a lot of contestants out of the game, and to be sure, it would make for a speedier tournament. However, if a new rule like you outlined were to be invoked, wouldn't you take it a step further?

A certain minimum time all wheelchair shooters would be required to reach the next field. If they didn't qualify they also would lose their membership. All in the name of speeding up the events!??? Comeon everyone. Do you really want to eliminate those of us in the range of 80 year old, somewhat decrepit, with a variety of medical problems, some confined to wheelchairs so you can reduce a little of your wait time between events?

I know for most of you, it's hard to believe, but in time, unless your are very lucky, you will face similar problems. When that occurs will you be willing to "Just fade away".

I have great difficulty accepting cost as an excuse to rush--use fewer traps, pay fewer people.

Like Klem, I'd like to hear what you really think.

A special aside to Neil. My tea leaves divulge you are closer than you think.
    Will you then be satified with just the great research you do or will you, like many of us, want to continue to shoot with a brief break between events?

CharlieK

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Got to have that break. Am now shooting from a Wheelchair. Shot fast and quick here not to far in the past. But now as stated above. Keep shootin straight no matter how slow you have to be. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I'm a vet (in more ways than one) and can understand the need to get a little rest between fields and events. But I can also understand shoot management wanting to move things along. After all what's the biggest complaint with shooting registered targets? In my opinion it's waiting?

That said, it seems to me that this "problem" will solve itself. Old shooters leaving the ranks faster than new shooters appearing. Dim prospect, but it's what I see.

6. incognito

incognito TS Member

Could there be different ways of running the fields for veterans than for younger shooters? Seems like the young shooters want to shoot and get done, but the vets want to take their time. Nothing wrong with either way, just different mindsets. Why not allow more time for the vets?

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I understand that the older shooters are the backbone of the sport, with that said the biggest complaint is waiting at least in Trap, if you want a shooting sport that gives you a break take up SKEET, 200 targets a day and you get a 3 hour break between rounds. Gives you time to eat lunch, take a nap, and play a few hands of card. You are then recharged and ready to go!

:p

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.